Public Meetings Slated for Draft Analyses of Two Proposals: Willow Development Plan & Ambler ‘Road to Resources’
ConocoPhillips’ Willow development is in the northeast portion of the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska.
ANCHORAGE—The Bureau of Land Management is seeking feedback through public meetings and comments on the proposed Willow Master Development Plan and Ambler Mining District Industrial Access Road Draft Environmental Impact Statements (EISs), both of which the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) made available for public review and comment and published in the Federal Register.
Members of the public are encouraged to participate in the environmental review process by attending one of the meetings or submitting comments on the draft analyses for the BLM to consider in preparing the final analyses. Feedback on Draft EIS alternatives will inform Final EIS’s and the records of decision.
Comments on the Draft analyses will be accepted through October 15, 2019, and should be specific to the document itself, referencing sections or pages, and include specific details regarding issues or concerns that also provide rationale for the concern or suggestion.
The BLM may hold additional public meetings in other communities if there is strong community interest. Schedule updates will be available via the “public meetings” links below for each project and announced via BLM Alaska press releases and social media channels.
Proposed Willow Master Development Plan (MDP) Draft EIS
The following Willow MDP Draft EIS public meetings are scheduled:
- Sept. 9, 2019 | Fairbanks, AK, 6-8 p.m. at the Westmark Hotel Fairbanks
- Sept. 10, 2019 | Anaktuvuk Pass, AK, 6-8 p.m. at the Anaktuvuk Pass Community Center
- Sept. 12, 2019 | Anchorage, AK, 6-8 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel-Midtown
- Sept. 18, 2019 | Utqiaġvik, AK, 6-8 p.m. at the Inupiat Heritage Center
- Sept. 19, 2019 | Atqasuk, AK, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Atqasuk Community Center
- TBD | Nuiqsut, AK
Those unable to attend one of the meetings are encouraged to review and comment on the Draft EIS via BLM’s project website at http://www.blm.gov/alaska/WillowEIS. Willow MDP comments can be submitted by any of the following methods through Oct. 15, 2019:
Email: [email protected]
Mail: Attn: Willow MDP DEIS Comments, 222 West 7th Avenue, Stop #13, Anchorage, AK, 99513-7504
Become an Industry Sponsor
Proposed Ambler Mining District Industrial Access Road (Ambler Road)
The following Ambler Road Draft EIS public meetings are scheduled:
- Sept. 10, 2019 | Anchorage, AK, 6-8 p.m. at the Dena’ina Civic and Convention Center
- Sept. 12, 2019 | Washington D.C., 5-7 p.m. at the Capitol Skyline Hotel
- Sept. 16, 2019 | Kotzebue, AK, 4-6 p.m. at the Northwest Arctic Borough Chambers
- Sept. 17, 2019 | Ambler, AK, 4-6 p.m. at the School Multipurpose Room
- Sept. 18, 2019 | Kobuk, AK, 4-6 p.m. at the School Gym
- Sept. 19, 2019 | Shungnak, AK, 1-3 p.m. at the Community Building
- Sept. 20, 2019 | Noorvik, AK, 3-5 p.m. at the School
- Sept. 23, 2019 | Fairbanks, AK, 6-8:30 p.m. at the Wedgewood Resort Borealis Ballroom
- Sept. 24, 2019 | Huslia, AK, 5-7 p.m. at the Community Hall
- Sept. 25, 2019 | Hughes, AK, 2-4 p.m. at the Community Hall
- Sept. 26, 2019 | Tanana, AK, 4-6 p.m. at the Community Hall
- Sept. 27, 2019 | Bettles/Evansville, AK, 4:30-6:30 p.m. at the Evansville Community Hall
- Sept. 30, 2019 | Stevens Village, AK, noon-2 p.m. at the Tribal Hall
- Oct. 1, 2019 | Allakaket, AK, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at the Community Hall
- Oct. 1, 2019 | Alatna, AK, 3:30-5 p.m. at the Tribal Office
- Oct. 2, 2019 | Anaktuvuk Pass, AK, 4-6 p.m. at the Community Hall
- Oct. 3, 2019 | Coldfoot/Wiseman, AK, 4-6 p.m. at the Wiseman Community Center
- Oct. 4, 2019 | Western Arctic Caribou Herd Communities Teleconference 2-4 p.m.*
- *Contact Sasha Prewitt at [email protected] or 907-644-2061 to ensure sufficient conference line capacity.
- Oct. 8, 2019 | Noatak, AK, 6-8 p.m. at the IRA Building
- Oct. 9, 2019 | Selawik, AK, 6-8 p.m. at the Community Building
- Oct. 10, 2019 | Kiana, AK, 6-8 p.m. at the Community Building
- Oct. 11, 2019 | Buckland, AK, 6-8 p.m. at the Armory Building
Those unable to attend one of the meetings are encouraged to review and comment on the Ambler Road Draft EIS via BLM’s project website at https://www.blm.gov/AmblerRoadEIS, which includes a project area map and frequently asked questions. Ambler Road Draft EIS comments can be submitted by any of the following methods through Oct. 15, 2019:
Email: [email protected]
Mail: Attn: Ambler Road DEIS Comments, 222 West 7th Avenue, Stop #13, Anchorage, AK, 99513-7504
In This Issue
The Marx Bros. Café
Jack Amon and Richard “Van” Hale opened the doors of the Marx Bros. Café on October 18, 1979; however, the two had already been partners in cuisine for some time, having created the Wednesday Night Gourmet Wine Tasting Society and Volleyball Team Which Now Meets on Sunday, a weekly evening of food and wine. It was actually the end of the weekly event that spurred the name of the restaurant: hours after its final service, Amon and Hale were hauling equipment and furnishings out of their old location and to their now-iconic building on Third Street, all while managing arguments about equipment ownership, a visit from the police, and quite a bit of wine. “If you’ve ever seen the movie ‘A Night at the Opera” starring the Marx Brothers, that’s what it was like,” Hale explains.