Top 49ers Announced by Alaska Business Monthly
ANCHORAGE, Alaska, October 1, 2014—Alaska Business Monthly announced the 2014 Top 49ers today at its annual awards luncheon honoring the Top 49 Alaskan-owned businesses ranked by gross revenues. The crowd at the Dena’ina Center was entertained with interactive social media this year in line with the 2014 Top 49er theme of going viral.
2014 Alaska Business Monthly Top 49ers
- 1 Arctic Slope Regional Corporation, Rex A. Rock Sr., President/CEO, $2,525,615,000.
- 2 Bristol Bay Native Corporation, Jason Metrokin, President/CEO, $1,835,894,000.
- 3 NANA Regional Corporation Inc., Marie N. Greene, President/CEO, $1,700,000,000.
- 4 Chenega Corporation, Charles W. Totemoff, President/CEO, $1,044,000,000.
- 5 Lynden Inc., Jim Jansen, Chairman, $875,000,000.
- 6 Chugach Alaska Corporation, Gabriel Kompkoff, CEO, $609,000,000.
- 7 Afognak Native Corporation/Alutiiq, Greg Hambright, President/CEO, $526,000,000.
- 8 Calista Corporation, Andrew Guy, President/CEO, $368,914,000.
- 9 Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, William Eckhardt, President, $337,200,000.
- 10 Ukpeagvik Inupiat Corporation (UIC), Anthony Edwardsen, President/CEO, $320,716,000.
- 11 Doyon, Limited, Aaron Schutt, President/CEO, $318,552,461.
- 12 Chugach Electric Association, Inc., Bradley Evans, CEO, $305,308,427.
- 13 The Wilson Agency LLC, Lon Wilson, President/CEO, $267,195,622.
- 14 Bering Straits Native Corporation, Gail R. Schubert, President/CEO, $242,000,000.
- 15 Olgoonik Corporation, Hugh Patkotak Sr., CEO, $215,200,000.
- 16 Cook Inlet Region Inc., Sophie Minich, President/CEO, $214,930,000.
- 17 Koniag, Inc., Elizabeth Perry, Ph.D., CEO, $202,142,000.
- 18 Ahtna, Inc., Michelle Anderson, President, $200,000,000.
- 19 Udelhoven Oilfield System Services, Jim Udelhoven, CEO, $166,229,644.
- 20 Sealaska, Anthony Mallott, President/CEO, $164,950,000.
- 21 Davis Constructors & Engineers, Inc., Josh Pepperd, President, $163,639,861.
- 22 Ravn Alaska, Bob Hajdukovich, CEO, $160,000,000.
- 23 Goldbelt, Inc., Robert Loiselle, President/CEO, $146,033,239.
- 24 Three Bears Alaska, Inc., David Weisz, President/CEO, $136,632,222.
- 25 Construction Machinery Industrial, Ken Gerondale, President/CEO, $134,000,000.
- 26 First National Bank Alaska, Betsy Lawer, President, $131,005,000.
- 27 The Tatitlek Corporation, Roy Totemoff, President/CEO, $124,840,398.
- 28 Cruz Companies, Dave Cruz, President, $116,798,739.
- 29 Aleut Corporation, Thomas Mack, President, $116,260,627.
- 30 Colville, Inc., Eric Helzer, President/CEO, $105,600,000.
- 31 Matanuska Electric Association Inc., Joe Griffith, Gen. Mgr., $105,000,000.
- 32 Usibelli Coal Mine Inc., Joseph Usibelli. Chairman, $103,000,000.
- 33 MTA Inc., Greg Berberich, CEO, $99,000,000.
- 34 Sitnasuak Native Corporation, David Hoffman, CEO, $93,147,344.
- 35 Homer Electric Association Inc., Bradley Janorschke, Gen. Mgr., $92,000,000.
- 36 Watterson Construction Co., Bill Watterson, President, $90,000,000.
- 37 Vitus Energy LLC, Mark Smith, CEO, $89,600,000.
- 38 Cornerstone General Contractors Inc., Joe Jolley, President, $89,000,000.
- 39 Anchorage Chrysler Dodge Center, Rodney Udd, President/CEO, $85,550,000.
- 40 PenAir, Danny Seybert, CEO, $78,300,000.
- 41 Builders Choice Inc., Mark Larson, President, $73,002,000.
- 42 Roger Hickel Contracting Inc., Mike Shaw, President, $67,963,073.
- 43 Seekins Ford Lincoln, Inc., Ralph Seekins, President, $67,581,913.
- 44 DOWL HKM, Stewart Osgood, President, $62,309,000.
- 45 Geneva Woods, Dan Afrasiabi, President, $60,000,000.
- 46 Alaska Industrial Hardware Inc., Mike Kangas, President/Gen. Mgr., $57,400,000.
- 47 Airport Equipment Rentals, Jerry Sadler, Owner/President, $55,000,001.
- 48 Credit Union 1, Tom Newins, President/CEO, $52,618,949.
- 49 Tatonduk Outfitters Ltd., Robert Everts, CEO/Owner, $51,950,000.
The 2014 Top 49ers reported more than $15.25 billion in gross revenues in 2013, and support 25,951 employees in Alaska and 73,556 in US and international operations. The top 2014 Top 49er Arctic Slope Regional Corporation has held the number one position 20 years in a row.
Alaska Business Publishing Co., Inc. dba Alaska Business Monthly was established in 1984 and publishes Alaska’s premier business magazine and website. Its goal is to promote economic growth in the state by providing a thorough and objective discussion and analysis of the issues and trends affecting Alaska’s business sector; and by featuring stories on the individuals, organizations, and companies that shape the Alaska economy.
Alaska Business Monthly emphasizes the importance of all enterprises, from the large multinational corporations that do business in the state to the numerous sole proprietorships. It stresses a statewide approach to business coverage with stories from all regions of the state and offers topical diversity just as broad as the Alaska economy itself.
Updated October 2, 2014 Due to a reporting error, the 2014 Top 49ers information has been corrected and updated.
In This Issue
Spreading the Word
When Bristol Bay Native Corporation (BBNC) first aired TV commercials featuring the tagline, “A Place That’s Always Been,” the reaction was surprising. Not only because they received numerous accolades and marketing awards for the campaign but because, at the time, it was rare for Alaska Native corporations to market themselves through the media.