Railroad Solicits Ideas for 2022 Official Art Print
“Soar More” by Debra Dubac is the 2021 Alaska Railroad print.
The Alaska Railroad (ARRC) is seeking entries for its annual commemorative artwork program by Friday, March 12, 2021.
ARRC commissions the selected artist to create artwork as the basis for ARRC’s official 2022 commemorative print. Started in 1979, the program helps participating artists gain exposure with a connection to a beloved icon of Alaska.
Artist submissions must include an Alaska Railroad theme. ARRC retains all rights to the artwork from which ARRC will produce at least 250 signed and numbered prints, several thousand posters, and several thousand lapel pins.
The railroad pays the artist $3,000 and provides 10 artist proofs and 20 posters. The artist agrees to participate in print/poster sale-and-signing events in Anchorage and in Fairbanks. Signing events may also occur in an additional community, depending on the subject of the artwork. The Alaska Railroad pays for the artist’s travel expenses.
A list and images of previous ARRC art prints are available on the railroad’s website.
Artists should submit a sketch no larger than 11 x 17 inches. To provide some style context, artists should also include several samples of their finished artwork.
Mail or hand-deliver submissions to the attention of John Simmons, Passenger Depot Services Manager:
- Mailing address: Alaska Railroad, P.O. Box 107500, Anchorage, AK 99510-7500
- Hand Delivery (call 265-2671 in advance to arrange a time):
ARRC Headquarters, 327 W. Ship Creek Avenue in Anchorage
- Questions? Contact John Simmons at 907-265-2242, [email protected], or Stephenie Wheeler at 907-265-2671, [email protected]
- The railroad will notify the selected artist via telephone and by US mail by the end of March 2021. The railroad will return submitted materials to artists who include a self-addressed, stamped envelope, or who pick up their submitted materials in person. Submissions not picked up or mailed by Friday, April 16, 2021, will be discarded.
Dates to Remember
- December 1, 2020 — the contest entry period begins
- Friday, March 12, 2021 — print contest submissions must be received by 5:00 p.m.
- late March 2021 — Committee review complete; winning entry selected.
- Early April 2021 — Artists are notified of contest results.
- Friday, April 16, 2021 — Submissions must be retrieved (or mailed in self-addressed envelope).
- Friday, April 23, 2021 — Submissions not retrieved will be discarded.
- Friday, August 6, 2021 — Chosen artist must deliver completed artwork.
- October / November 2021 — Art print and poster are released for sale to the public.
- Last Quarter 2021 — Chosen artist participates in sale-and-signing events.
In This Issue
Meeting in the Middle
In January, when the Biden administration announced its ban on the future sale of oil and gas leases on federal land, the news understandably ruffled the collective feathers of Alaska’s oil and gas industry.