DNR releases new, improved version of Alaska Mapper
(Anchorage, AK) – The Alaska Department of Natural Resource, Information Resource Management Section (IRM) is pleased to announce the release of an improved version of Alaska Mapper, a web application that allows the public to query, research, and verify the ownership and use of all lands managed by the department.
Alaska Mapper Version 3.0 can be accessed at http://dnr.alaska.gov/MapAK/.
IRM incorporated public feedback into the new version of Alaska Mapper. For example, it made significant improvements to the program regarding access, use, and maintenance of the data and software. The new version also provides users with an intuitive interface and improved tools to research the department’s land records.
The following list describes major highlights of Version 3.0:
- A Google Map-like user interface.
- Availability of Google Base Maps.
- Two versions of Alaska Mapper to pick from (Advanced and Lite).
- The ability to import shapefiles to participate in queries
- The ability to export KML files
- Instantaneous data extractions rather than a queue for later processing
- Image caching to increase drawing speed
- New and improved navigation functions
- Availability of municipal/borough parcel data layers for use in spatial queries
- Query result modifications to include: links, sorting, excel/pdf exports (advanced version only)
- A buffering tool
Users already familiar with Alaska Mapper should have little trouble transitioning to the new version. For those who are new to Alaska Mapper, a user guide is available online at http://dnr.alaska.gov/MapAK/ug.pdf or by clicking on the bottom banner labeled “User Guide” on the Alaska Mapper interface. Anyone who needs assistance should contact the DNR Public Information centers in Anchorage at 907-269-8400 or Fairbanks at 907-451-2705 between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday to Friday.
The older version of Alaska Mapper will remain active for a period of four to six months. After that time, it will be removed from the DNR website.
In This Issue
The 2019 Best of Alaska Business Awards
Welcome to the fourth annual Best of Alaska Business Awards! As part of our continuing mission to support Alaska’s business communities, each year we look to you, our readers, to tell us which businesses excel in a range of diverse categories.