IRS Offers Service by Appointment at Anchorage Tax Assistance Center
Anchorage – Taxpayers in need of service at the Anchorage IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center will need to call to schedule an appointment. However, they should first see if their answer is available at IRS.gov. They may be able to resolve their tax question by visiting the IRS website, eliminating the need to be seen at a local TAC.
Taxpayers requiring assistance should call 1-844-545-5640 to schedule an appointment at the Anchorage Tax Assistance Center, located at 949 E. 36th Avenue. The IRS will begin taking calls on May 16 for appointments starting May 23 or later. Taxpayers should always check IRS.gov for days and hours of service as well as services offered at the location they plan to visit.
The IRS is moving to an appointment service at this office as part of an ongoing effort to eliminate lines and reduce frustration for taxpayers with more complex tax matters who require in-person tax help. Prior studies show that many taxpayers visit an IRS office to get a tax transcript, make a payment, resolve a notice, obtain a form or publication or ask about their refund. Many of these issues can be resolved at IRS.gov without traveling to an IRS office.
As a reminder, IRS.gov offers numerous online options for tax help that can save time and effort. Services include:
- Where’s My Refund?, people can check their refund status and estimated delivery date
- Free File, free tax software offered through IRS partners to allow you to file your taxes online
- Get Transcript, order a transcript online and have it mailed
- Direct Pay, make tax payments or estimated tax payments directly debited from a checking or savings account
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, individuals or businesses can make all types of federal tax payments
- Online Payment Agreement, eligible taxpayers can set up installment payments for taxes owes
- Where’s My Amended Return, taxpayers can track the status of their amended return
- Answers to tax law questions, provides direct links to helpful resources to answer many tax questions
- All IRS Forms and Publications, find and download current tax forms, instructions and publications
For additional information on available services, check out Publication 5136, the IRS Services Guide.
In This Issue
Distinguishing Differences in Financial Institutions
There are thousands of financial institutions in Alaska, providing everything from checking and savings accounts to loans and investment solutions. Banks and credit unions are among the most prominent financial services companies serving Alaskans.