Anchorage Health Department Announces February Vaccine Allocation
The Anchorage Health Department (AHD) is preparing for the arrival of more COVID-19 vaccine doses in February and coordinating the plan for allocating 12,360 doses to providers in Anchorage.
These allocations do not include vaccine managed separately by the Alaska Tribal Health System, US Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Defense. The total COVID-19 vaccine for Anchorage is further allocated:
- Mass Vaccination Clinics: 7,360 doses
- Private Provider Clinics: 2,050 doses
- Federally Qualified Health Center: 600 doses
- Department of Corrections: 300 doses
- Pharmacies: 2,050 doses
Reflecting the federal Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) guiding principles, including science, implementation, and ethics, the February allocation of COVID-19 vaccine in Anchorage was determined based on several current, local factors:
- There is low vaccine availability currently.
- The plan is for rapid vaccine distribution and administration early in the month, in case more vaccine becomes available.
- Large vaccination clinics are the quickest way to vaccinate large numbers of residents.
- There is ongoing concern for more contagious strains of the virus in the community.
- The priority is to address health equity in COVID-19 impacts and outcomes.
- Federally Qualified Health Centers, corrections, clinics serving Medicare/Medicaid populations and other priority populations, and congregate settings are also prioritized.
Previously, allocation planning within municipalities was done by the State of Alaska Department of Health and Social Services. Starting with the March allocation, AHD will convene a vaccine allocation advisory committee to guide the plan.
On January 28 many appointments opened for scheduling at covidvax.alaska.gov.
Before registering for an appointment, Alaskans should confirm they are eligible to receive vaccine. Those eligible for state-managed vaccine include Alaskans ages 65 and above, long term care facility staff and residents, and many workers in healthcare settings.
Vaccine managed by the Alaska Tribal Health System, US Department of Veterans Affairs and the US Department of Defense may have different eligibility criteria.
To find a COVID-19 vaccine provider or confirm eligibility, Alaskans may visit covidvax.alaska.gov or call 1-907-646-3322.
For additional Anchorage resources on testing, vaccines, and other COVID-19 information, visit muni.org/covid-19 or dial 2-1-1.
In This Issue