Railroad solicits ideas for 2018 official art print
Alaska artists encouraged to submit art contest entries by Feb. 24, 2017
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The Alaska Railroad (ARRC) is now soliciting submissions for its annual commemorative artwork program. The artist selected will be commissioned to create artwork that is the basis for the 2018 Alaska Railroad official commemorative print. The annual Alaska Railroad art print (and poster) are favored by rail fans and Alaska art collectors alike.
In order to be considered, artist submissions must include an Alaska Railroad theme. ARRC retains all rights to the artwork. Once selected, the Alaska Railroad will produce up to 750 signed and numbered prints, several thousand posters and several thousand lapel pins. The artist receives $3,000, and is given 10 artist proofs and 20 posters. In return, the artist agrees to participate in print/poster sale-and-signing events in Anchorage, Wasilla and in Fairbanks. Signing events may also be scheduled in an additional community location, depending on the subject of the artwork. The Alaska Railroad pays for the artist’s travel expenses.
Artists may request access to Alaska Railroad property for artistic research by contacting ARRC Corporate Communications Officer Stephenie Wheeler at (907) 265-2671. A listing of previous ARRC art prints is available on the railroad’s web site at: www.AlaskaRailroad.com > Corporation > In the Community.
Deadline for submissions is Friday, Feb. 24, 2017. Artist submissions should be presented as a single sketch no larger than 11 x 17 inches. To provide some context, the sketch should be accompanied by several samples of the artist’s finished artwork.
Submissions should be mailed or delivered in person no later than Friday, February 24, 2017, to the attention of Stephenie Wheeler, Alaska Railroad Corporate Affairs:
· Mailing address: Alaska Railroad, P.O. Box 107500, Anchorage, AK 99510-7500
· Hand Delivery: ARRC Headquarters, 327 W. Ship Creek Avenue in Anchorage
Drop off between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The selected artist will be notified via telephone and by U.S. mail by the end of March 2017. Other artists will be notified of the results, and artwork will be returned to the extent possible. Submissions must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope in order to be returned by mail. Submissions that are not picked up or mailed by April 17 will be discarded.
Dates to Remember:
- November 18, 2016 — the contest entry period begins
- February 24, 2017— print contest submissions must be received by 5:00 p.m.
- mid-March 2017 — Committee review complete; winning entry selected.
- March 31, 2017 — Artists are notified of contest results.
- April 17, 2017 — Submissions must be retrieved (or mailed in self-addressed/stamped envelope).
- April 18, 2017 — Submissions not retrieved will be discarded.
- August 30, 2017 — Chosen artist must deliver completed artwork.
- Early November, 2017 — Art print and poster are released for sale to the public.
- November/December 2017 — Chosen artist participates in sale-and-signing events.