GCI brings lightning-fast 1 GIG internet to Fairbanks
Fairbanks to enjoy speeds unavailable in much of Lower 48
Anchorage, Alaska – GCI, Alaska’s largest internet provider, expanded its 1-gigabit-per-second internet service, known as 1 GIG red, to Interior Alaska with a launch in Alaska’s Golden Heart City today.
To celebrate the arrival of 1 GIG red in Fairbanks, GCI is hosting a special customer appreciation barbecue event from noon to 2 p.m. today at its store on Merhar Avenue.
GCI 1 GIG red speeds are up to 100 times faster than the current national average. With 1 GIG red, customers can download a 25-song playlist in less than a second, a console game in 33 seconds and an HD movie in less than 30 seconds.
“As an Alaska-born-and-raised company, GCI is committed to connecting residents to the latest, most cutting-edge technology,” said GCI Senior Vice President and General Manager of Consumer Services Paul Landes. “Continuing to expand 1 GIG red service across the state is one of our many efforts toward this goal.”
Fast facts for customers:
- Once the service launches, GCI red customers in Fairbanks will immediately have access to internet speeds up to 1-gigabit-per-second at no added cost. Some service-area restrictions may apply.
- In order to achieve these lightning-fast speeds, customers must be using an upgraded modem. Many red customers already have their new modem, which has allowed them to access speeds up to 500Mbps leading to the launch of 1 GIG.
- Customers who need to upgrade their modem can visit their local GCI store or pick one up at today’s customer appreciation event. GCI is also offering on-site technical support at the event for customers to swap out cable modems.
GCI customer appreciation event details:
- Free barbecue begins at 12 p.m., Friday, June 10, The GCI Store, 510 Merhar Ave, Fairbanks, AK 99701.
- Presentation and official 1 GIG red countdown to be at 12:15 p.m.
- Guests can visit with 4-time Iditarod champion Lance Mackey.
- Giveaways feature two tech baskets, complete with Alaska Airlines miles, Apple TVs and more.
- All new 1 GIG customers can also add a free Apple TV.
More information about GCI’s 1 GIG red internet service can be found at https://www.gci.com/internet/
GCI delivers communication and technology services in the consumer and business markets. Headquartered in Alaska with additional locations in the U.S., GCI has delivered services for more than 35 years to some of the most remote communities and in some of the most challenging conditions in North America. Learn more about GCI at www.gci.com.