Tom Garrity Named Chairman of PRSA’s Counselors Academy
Garrity to lead 2017 executive committee of agency owners and independent practitioners
NEW YORK – The members of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Counselors Academy have elected Tom Garrity, president of The Garrity Group Public Relations in Albuquerque, New Mexico, as its 2017 chair.
Counselors Academy is a national professional interest section of PRSA that focuses on the business of agency PR. Its entrepreneurial members are owners or senior managers of leading independent firms in the U.S. and Canada. Counselors Academy’s programs foster networking, mentoring and learning.
Established in 1997, The Garrity Group helps small businesses to be heard and large organizations to be understood for entities with a presence in New Mexico. Offering services that include issue management, traditional/digital media relations, event management and public affairs, the firm represents clients in the healthcare, telecommunications, energy and aviation. Garrity Group is a member of the Worldcom Public Relations Group.
“While cleaning out some older files, I came across my letter of application and acceptance to the Counselors Academy,” said Garrity. “I wrote ‘I am familiar with the focus and reputation of the Counselors Academy. I am interested in pursuing membership…’ That was 10 years ago in January 2007.”
“Professional development and sharing of best practices through Counselors Academy events have been integral to my firms success and how we engage with the community. It is truly an honor to work alongside colleagues whom I respect and have the back of our industry.”
To help engage Counselor Academy members, the PRSA section launched a website this week with resources and events that are important to all public relation practitioners at http://www.caprsa.com.
The section’s marquee event is the PRSA 2017 Counselors Academy Spring Conference, which will be held May 7-9, 2017 in Seattle, Washington. Known for its robust networking and learning opportunities, the Spring Conference enables collaborative peer relationships in which meaningful business counsel, operational best practices and industry trends are shared and gained.
In addition to Garrity, members of the 2017 Executive Committee for PRSA Counselors Academy are:
- Dana Hughens, CEO, Clairmont Communications, chair-elect
- Chuck Norman, APR, principal, S&A Communications, secretary
- Alison King, president, Media Profile, treasurer
- Martin Waxman, president Martin Waxman Communications of Toronto immediate past chair
- Greg Abel, president and founder, Abel Communications
- Brenda Jones Barwick, APR, Jones PR
- Alice Chapman, partner, MP&F Public Relations
- Julie Curtin, executive vice president and Partner, DCI
- Lisa Gerber, CEO, Big Leap Creative
- Natalie Ghidotti, APR, president and CEO, Ghidotti Communications
- Jon Goldberg, chief reputation architect, Reputation Architects, Inc.
- Pam Golden, president, GLA Communications
- Rebecca Mosley, founding partner, Duo PR
- Jennifer Thompson, president and CEO, Thompson & Co. Public Relations
- Ann Barks, APR, principal, Ann Barks Public Relations, ex officio
About the Public Relations Society of America
PRSA is the largest professional organization serving the U.S. public relations community. With a mission to “advance the profession and the professional,” PRSA provides news and information, thought leadership, continuing education and networking opportunities; sets standards of professional excellence and ethical conduct; and advocates for the business value of public relations and greater diversity among public relations professionals. Based in New York, PRSA comprises 112 local Chapters; 14 Professional Interest Sections that focus on specific industries and practice areas; and the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), which is active at more than 340 colleges and universities.
For more information on Counselors Academy, visit our website, http://www.caprsa.com