Nine Alaska Safeway and Carrs Stores Voluntarily Recall Deli Sandwiches Due to Possible Salmonella Poona Contamination
Andrew and Williamson Fresh Produce recall of cucumbers
September 8, 2015 — BELLVUE, Washington — In cooperation with the Andrew and Williamson Fresh Produce recall of cucumbers that may be contaminated with Salmonella Poona, Safeway is voluntarily recalling made-to-order deli sandwiches with cucumbers produced by Andrew and Williamson and sold in nine Safeway and Carrs stores in Alaska.
Sandwiches were sold from August 1 through September 4 from the full-service sandwich counter. The stores include:
- Carrs at 1725 Abbott Rd., Anchorage, AK 99507
- Carrs at 1650 W Northern Lights Blvd., Anchorage, AK 99517
- Carrs at 5600 Debarr Rd., Anchorage, AK 99504
- Carrs at 1340 Gambell St., Anchorage, AK 99501
- Carrs at 1501 Huffman Rd., Anchorage, AK 99515
- Safeway at 1907 Seward Hwy., Seward, AK 99664
- Safeway at 1313 Meals St., Valdez, AK 99686
- Safeway at 90 Sterling Hwy., Homer, AK 99603
- Safeway at 301 N Santa Claus Ln., North Pole, AK 99705
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
No illnesses have been associated with Safeway or Carrs sandwiches. We are recalling the sandwiches out of an abundance of caution.
Customers who purchased the recalled sandwiches from the above-listed stores should discard or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Customers who have questions about the recall can contact Safeway at 1-877-SAFEWAY or Andrew and Williamson at 1-844-483-3864.