DNR NEWS RELEASE-Board of Forestry to meet April 14 in Ketchikan
(Anchorage, AK) - The public is invited to participate in a Board of Forestry meeting in Ketchikan on Friday, April 14 to discuss statewide forestry issues. The meeting will run from 8 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and will be teleconferenced. A draft agenda is posted at http://forestry.alaska.gov/
Topics for the board meeting will include:
· FY2017-18 forestry, forest practices, and monitoring budgets and options for alternative funding sources for Forest Resources and Practice Act implementation;
· Annual state agency reports on Forest Resources and Practices Act effectiveness and development of the Board’s annual report to the Governor;
· Annual reports on compliance monitoring and effectiveness monitoring;
· State and federal statutory and regulatory proposals related to forest operations in Alaska, including regulations for small negotiated sales under 11 AAC 71.045(e), state fees, and new reforestation standards in Interior and Southcentral Alaska;
· Coastal forest management issues including reports on national forest planning, federal timber sales, Roadless Rule implementation, the Mental Health Trust land exchange, young-growth inventory, work force development projects, and the state-federal Good Neighbor agreement;
· Forest management planning and timber sale planning and appeals on state land;
· Wood energy projects in Alaska;
· Forest sustainability verification;
· The Hoonah watershed project and lidar use; and
· Challenges facing the primary forest product sector.
Other forestry matters may be included on the agenda. The meeting is intended to comply with the requirements of AS 41.17.047(b) and (d). Public comment is scheduled for 1:45 p.m.
The Board of Forestry meeting will be held in the Shaa Hit conference room at the Cape Fox Lodge located at 800 Venetia Way in Ketchikan. Teleconference call-in locations will be available in three communities as listed below:
· Juneau: DNR 4th floor conference room A, 400 Willoughby Ave
· Anchorage: Division of Forestry conference room, 550 W. 7th Avenue, Suite 1450
· Fairbanks: Department of Natural Resources large conference room, 3700 Airport Way
Anyone outside of Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, or Ketchikan who would like to participate in the teleconference should contact Marty Freeman at the Division of Forestry in Anchorage at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 907-269-8467 no later than 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 10. If no one has contacted Marty and no one is present at a teleconference site by 9 a.m., the teleconference may be terminated at that site.
For a copy of the agenda, go to http://forestry.alaska.gov/
CONTACT: Marty Freeman, 269-8467, email@example.com