Board of Forestry to meet July 28
(Anchorage, AK) - The Board of Forestry will meet in Fairbanks and by teleconference on July 28 to discuss statewide forestry issues and participate in a reforestation forum. The public is invited to attend the meeting and forum.
The board will discuss statewide forestry issues from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, July 28. The reforestation forum will be held from 6:30 to 9 p.m. the same evening. The forum will include presentations on reforestation research and management, impacts of climate change and interactions between wildlife and reforestation activities.
Topics for the regular board meeting will include:
- Fiscal Year 2016 forestry, forest practices, and monitoring budgets and options for implementation of the Alaska Forest Resources and Practices Act with budget reductions,
- Status of 2015-16 legislative proposals related to forestry,
- Coastal forest management including reports on national forest planning, Roadless Rule implementation, the Mental Health Trust land exchange, The Working Forest Group, and Southeast Alaska forest road and infrastructure projects;
- Southeast State Forest Management Plan,
- Petition to list Alaska yellow-cedar under the Endangered Species Act,
- Forest Fisheries Forum follow-up options,
- Alaska Sustainable Salmon Fund,
- Wood energy in Alaska and state timber sales for wood energy projects,
- Reforestation standards review process for Interior and Southcentral Alaska,
- Boreal Alaska – Learning, Adaptation, and Production research, and
- Division of Forestry program updates.
Other forestry matters may be included on the agenda. The meeting is intended to comply with the requirements of AS 41.17.047(b) and (d). Public comment is scheduled for Tuesday, March 24 at 1:30 p.m.
The Board of Forestry meeting will be in the International Arctic Research Center, Room 501 on the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus. The reforestation forum will be in the large conference room of the Department of Natural Resources office building, 3700 Airport Way.
Teleconference sites will be available in Anchorage and Juneau. The Anchorage teleconference location is the Division of Forestry conference room located in Suite 1450 of the Atwood Building, located at 550 W. 7th Ave. The Juneau site is conference room A on the 4th floor of the Department of Natural Resources building, located at 400 Willoughby Ave.
Anyone outside of Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau who would like to participate in the teleconference should contact Marty Freeman at the Division of Forestry in Anchorage at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 907-269-8467 no later than 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 22. If no one has contacted Marty and no one is present at a teleconference site by 9 a.m., the teleconference may be terminated at that site.
For additional information about the meeting and forum, or for special accommodations due to audio or visual impairment, contact Marty using the contact information above. Any individuals wishing to receive announcements of future Board of Forestry meetings by e-mail or in hard copy should contact Marty to be added to the mailing list.