New Faces of Engineering Awards - Apply Today!
Open to engineers up to age 30 and college students
Apply for the New Faces of Engineering Awards. Open to professionals or college students. Deadline is November 18, 2016.
New Faces of Engineering
Today’s engineers are working to solve issues on a global scale. New Faces of Engineering (Professional Edition) recognizes the outstanding talents, skills and abilities our next generation of engineering leaders (age 30 or younger) have shown on projects that significantly impact public welfare or further professional development and growth.
This program strives to promote the accomplishments of young engineers by highlighting their engineering contributions and the resulting impact on society. This global campaign is designed to enhance and improve the image of engineering by:
- Putting real faces and stories to what has often been referred to as “the stealth profession”
- Recognizing a global group of young, diverse and talented engineers, thereby portraying engineering as an exciting and inclusive profession
- Helping engineering students understand that they are part of a global community of engineering professionals.
The 2017 online application period ends on November 18, 2016 and the 2017 winners will be announced on April 5, 2017. You can still check out the 2017 New Faces Nomination Guide to better understand eligibility requirements.
The 2017 New Faces nominees (finalists) will be selected by their respective professional societies and announced in February 2017. The top 2017 New Faces winners will be selected by DiscoverE and announced on April 5, 2017. Please check out the New Faces Pro Overview. It can be downloaded and printed to distribute and spread the word.
- You must be a member of a participating professional society. See below for complete list.
- You must be 30 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2016 to apply for the 2017 program.
- You must have a degree in engineering from an ABET Accredited (EAC) U.S. college or university, or from an equivalent international educational institution. Degrees in science, computer science, engineering technology, or similar fields are not eligible; a degree in computer engineering is acceptable.
- Nomination forms must include a color headshot photo. Photos should be head and shoulder shots of high quality resolution suitable for publication (jpg, tif or eps and at least 300 DPI at 2”x3”). Business attire is recommended.
- Optional: One additional “action” photo that shows you on the job, in training, or in the classroom.
Each year a new class of New Faces nominees and award winners are selected. The winners are featured in national/local media outlets and featured on the DiscoverE website with a photo and a brief statement of each engineer’s accomplishments. New Faces are also recognized by their nominating professional societies in a variety of ways, such as articles in the organization’s member magazine and at national and local events. New Faces are also designated as “Engineering Ambassadors” and may be asked to participate in a variety of outreach or community-building events.
2016-17 Participating Professional Societies
To apply for New Faces, you must be a member of one of the following societies. If you have any questions about your membership, please contact the society directly (see links below).
Chinese Institute of Engineers - USA (CIE-USA)
If you have any questions please contact DiscoverE at Karen@DiscoverE.org
New Faces of Engineering - College Edition
This award recognizes the best and brightest whose academic successes and experiences in the engineering field have positioned them to make an impact. College Edition also maintains a year-round community on Facebook. "Like" us to learn more about scholarship opportunities, events, licensure exams, internships, jobs, competitions, the benefits of membership to engineering societies, and more.
- Download and print a colorful College Edition flyer for students.
- Download this College Edition Overview that provides a more detailed program overview.
- Download and display a slide on your electronic media board.
The 2017 New Faces - College Edition is accepting applications until November 18, 2016. To read more about the award, visit the New Faces College Edition Application Guide.
The 2017 New Faces College Edition nominees (finalists) will be selected by their respective professional societies and announced in February 2017. The top 2017 College Edition winners will be selected by DiscoverE and announced on April 5, 2017.
Each year a new class of College Edition winners are selected. Each winner will receive a scholarship ranging from $500 to $1,000, are recognized on our website and College Edition’s Facebook page with a photo and a brief statement of their accomplishments, and are featured in an ad in their college newspaper. College Edition winners are also recognized by their nominating engineering society in a variety of ways, such as articles in the organization’s member magazine and at national and local events.
- You must be a member of a participating engineering society. See below for complete list.
- You must be an undergraduate engineering student (3rd, 4th, 5th year) as of September 30, 2016. (Graduate and Ph.D. students are NOT eligible).
- You must be enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Engineering program from an ABET Accredited (EAC) recognized U.S. college or university or from an equivalent international educational institution.
- You must have a track record of engineering experiences (i.e., internships, volunteer, or work related).
- Your grade point average must be 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale (or 4.0 or higher on a 5.0 scale). A copy of transcript is required for all winners.
- Your application must include a high resolution color headshot photo (jpg or png format). An additional photo that shows you participating in an engineering-related activity (class, event, internship, or in the field) is optional.
- Applications are due no later than midnight EST on Friday November 18, 2016.
- Please note: You can apply if you previously submitted an application or were selected as a nominee. (Past winners are not eligible).
To apply for College Edition, you must be a member of one of the following societies. Each will grant a scholarship to their honorees. Not a member? It's not too late to join! Click on participating society below to learn how.
American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) $1,000
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) $500
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) $1,000
Chinese Institute of Engineers - USA (CIE-USA) $500
National Associate of Black Engineers (NSBE) $500
National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) $500
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) $1,000
Society of Women Engineers (SWE) $500
If you have any questions, please contact DiscoverE at Karen@DiscoverE.org.
The New Faces College Edition program is generously sponsored by NCEES.