Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Research Matters No. 107: How Do Alaskans Cover Their Medical Bills?


Published:

April 25, 2017

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) has been at the top of the news lately, with Congress considering but then dropping proposed changes. Congress will try again to change the ACA—but it’s uncertain how or when. A new overview by Linda Leask, Rosyland Frazier, and Jessica Passini of ISER brings together information from many sources to describe health-care coverage Alaskans have now, and how ACA provisions have changed that coverage. Among other things, they report:

• Nearly 25% of Alaskans—about 176,000—are covered by Medicaid in 2017. Close to 85,000 of those are children, and another 30,000 are single, low-income adults who became eligible when the state expanded its Medicaid program under terms of the ACA.

• About 90% of the 18,000 Alaskans who carried individual policies they bought through the ACA marketplace in 2016 had federal subsidies either for premiums, or both premiums and out-of-pocket costs. The remaining 10% had incomes too high to qualify for subsidies. The subsidized premium for a family of four in 2017 was $316 a month. The unsubsidized premium was $2,750.

• Employer-based health insurance remains the most common insurance for Alaskans, covering more than half. But the share of small businesses offering insurance has been dropping—in Alaska, from 30% in 2010 to 27% by 2015, and nationally from 39% to 29%.

• Alaskans with Medicare are less likely to be poor than the average Medicare enrollee. About 25% of Alaskans with Medicare have incomes under 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, compared with 35% in the U.S. as a whole.

The Harold E. Pomeroy Public Policy Endowment supported this research. Download the summary, How Do Alaskans Cover Their Medical Bills? (PDF,  663.8KB)

If you have questions, call Linda Leask, ISER's editor, at 907-786-5425.

 

Edit Module

Add your comment:
Edit Module Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Connect With Us

   

 

Edit ModuleShow Tags