Neighborhood Block Party helps Sitka Health Summit kick off 2012 events
This year’s sixth annual Sitka Health Summit will kick off with the Sitka Community Health Fair from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 6, at Sweetland Hall on the Sitka Fine Arts Camp / Sheldon Jackson Campus. The health fair features informational booths from local health-oriented organizations and low-cost health screenings provided by Alaska Health Fair Inc.
To help celebrate the Sitka Health Summit’s move this year to the Sheldon Jackson Campus, several groups on or near the campus will join in the festivities by hosting a series of companion events as part of the Neighborhood Block Party. Here is a list of events:
- Youth Advocates of Sitka (YAS) will host an open house from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 805 Lincoln St. Contact Annette Becker 747-3687 for more information.
- The Sitka Summer Music Festival will host an open house from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Stevenson Hall. This event includes refreshments, a building tour and the screening of a 2011 documentary about the festival. For more information, call 747-6774.
- The Island Institute will host Sitka Writers Read, an hour featuring local writers doing short readings from their work from noon to 1 p.m. at the Yaw Chapel. Bring your lunch and enjoy supporting and hearing local talent. Contact Carolyn Servid at email@example.com.
- Yoga Union will host a free all-level community class with Emily from 9:00-10:00am and an open house from 10:00-11:00am. This is a great chance to get your family and friends to give yoga a try. Yoga Union is located in the Kellogg Building on the Sitka Fine Arts Camp/Sheldon Jackson Campus at 801 Lincoln St. Call 738-2443 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Sheldon Jackson Museum will sponsor indoor and outdoor activities from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tables will be set up in the museum with a variety of Native games for families to choose from. Outside the museum, there will be opportunities to practice using replica hunting tools used by Native hunters for hunting caribou and seal. The public is invited to attend. For more information, contact the museum at 747-8981.
- Sitka Fine Arts Camp/Yaw Art Center after-school programs will host an open at Yaw Art Center with children’s/artists’ art on display and a Celtic dance demonstration in the dance studio upstairs in Allen Hall. Both events are from 11 a.m. to noon. For more information, contact Kris Fulton at 738-3103.
- Sitka Sound Science Center will host a free admission to the aquarium from 10 a.m. to 2: p.m. For more information, contact 747-8878
- Hames Athletic and Wellness Center will offer free admission to participants of the Sitka Health Fair. Provide proof of attendance at the health fair for one free admission to the center. Contact 747-5080 for more information.
Posted: September 28, 2012