Alaska Farm To School Announcements, resources, NEA foundation grant
Farm to School Month is only 10 days away!
Don’t forget about the 2nd annual AK Farm to School Challenge: http://dnr.alaska.gov/ag/ag_
1. Your project, or some part of it, taking place in October
2. Putting your project on the NFSN event map: www.farmtoschoolmonth.org/map-
3. Taking the NFSN Farm-to-School Counts Pledge and be entered into NFSN’s drawing for $500 (three chances to win).
· We have finished presenting the webinars for the ‘Nutritional Alaskan Food for Schools’ (NAFS) grant. The presentation has been archived for viewing at both the NAFS main grant page: http://commerce.alaska.gov/
· A huge congratulations go out to Petersburg and Kenai School Districts for meeting Healthier US School Challenge (HUSSC) criteria! Listen to the story here: http://www.kfsk.org/2012/09/
· Another big congratulations to Child Nutrition Programs for their Team Nutrition grant award! Read the project summary here
· Equipment recommendations- As school food service starts handling more local product that requires on-site processing, we wanted to provide some tools for finding useful equipment to help with that. These lists are not exhaustive but may give you some useful ideas. National Food Service Management Institute, on equipment for school food, has a great chart on page A16 that has recommendations for schools serving different numbers of meals: http://teamnutrition.usda.gov/
Grants of up to $5,000 are available to educators at K-8 public schools for the development and implementation of approaches to four key concerns — environmentalism, health and wellness, students' rights to a quality education, and community involvement. Deadline: October 15, 2012 For more information go to:
Posted: September 24, 2012