BOEMRE Director Bromwich Names Key Career Leadership for New Agencies: Dr. James Kendall will serve as BOEM Alaska Region Director
Senior Managers Selected for the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management and Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement
WASHINGTON - Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE) Director Michael R. Bromwich today announced several key appointments to high-level positions in the two new, independent agencies that will carry out the offshore energy management and enforcement functions currently under the jurisdiction of BOEMRE. The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) will begin operating on October 1, 2011.
"I am pleased to announce my selection of a group of exceptionally qualified individuals," said Director Bromwich. "Throughout the recruitment process, we have looked for leaders who are technically skilled and experienced, and who can lead our ongoing efforts to enhance the safety of offshore exploration and production. The new leadership represents a combination of talented people from inside the agency with an exceptionally well-qualified group of people recruited from outside the agency."
BOEM will be responsible for managing development of the nation's offshore resources in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Functions will include: Leasing, Plan Administration, Environmental Studies, National Environmental Policy Act Analysis, Resource Evaluation, Economic Analysis and the Renewable Energy Program.
Some of the key leaders for BOEM will include:
- Dr. Walter D. Cruickshank, who will serve as the BOEM Deputy Director. Dr. Cruickshank has more than 25 years of experience at the Department of Interior. He most recently served as the BOEMRE Deputy Director. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in Geological Sciences from Cornell University and Doctorate in Mineral Economics from the Pennsylvania State University.
- Renee Orr, who will serve as BOEM's Strategic Resources Chief in BOEM. She has more than 23 years of experience with the Department of the Interior. Ms. Orr has overseen the staff implementation teams that have been at the core of the bureau's reorganization effort, and previously served as Chief of Leasing where she was responsible for the development and completion of several 5-Year Oil and Gas Leasing Programs. She earned Bachelor of Arts degrees in Economics and History from Metropolitan State College in Denver.
- Maureen Bornholdt, who will serve as the BOEM Renewables Chief. Ms. Bornholdt has more than 27 years of experience with the Department of the Interior. She most recently served as the Project Manager for BOEMRE's Offshore Renewable Energy Program. Ms. Bornholdt earned a Bachelor of Science in Public Administration from George Mason University.
- Ellen G. Aronson, who will serve as the BOEM Pacific Region Director. Ms. Aronson has over 33 years of experience with the Department of the Interior. She most recently served as the BOEMRE Pacific Region Director. Ms. Aronson earned a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts from Sara Lawrence College and a Master's of Urban and Regional Planning from the University of Southern California.
- Dr. James Kendall, who will serve as the BOEM Alaska Region Director. Dr. Kendall has over 27 years of experience with the Department of the Interior. He most recently served as the BOEMRE Alaska Region Director. Dr. Kendall earned a bachelor's degree in biology from Old Dominion University, Ph.D. in oceanography from Texas A&M University, and a Post-doctoral Fellowship in Marine Biology from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel. He is also a graduate of the Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Virginia, and the Senior Executive Fellows Program of the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
- John Rodi, who has been the Deputy Regional Director of BOEMRE's Gulf of Mexico Region since November 2007 and will serve as the BOEM Gulf of Mexico Acting Regional Director until a permanent Regional Director is selected. Mr. Rodi has more than 40 years of federal service with five different agencies. Mr. Rodi has both Bachelor and Master Degrees in Economics from Tulane University and the University of New Orleans, respectively.
BSEE will enforce safety and environmental regulations. Functions will include: All field operations including Permitting and Research, Inspections, Offshore Regulatory Programs, Oil Spill Response, and newly formed Training and Environmental Compliance functions.
Some of the key leaders for BSEE will include:
- Charles Barbee, who will serve as the BSEE Chief of the Environmental Enforcement Division. Mr. Barbee has more than 20 years of experience with the U.S. Coast Guard. Most recently, he was the Coast Guard's program manager for both marine investigations and environmental crime. During his career, Mr. Barbee has specialized in oil spill contingency planning, pollution investigation and response, marine inspections and marine casualty investigations. He graduated and received his commission from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and earned a Master's Degree in Organizational Management from the University of Phoenix.
- Chris Barry, who will serve as the BSEE Director of the National Offshore Training Center. Mr. Barry currently serves as Chief of National Training and Leadership for the Federal Emergency Management Agency in the National Preparedness Directorate. He earned a Bachelor of Arts (dual) degree in Art History and Special Education and a Master of Instructional Systems Design.
- David Moore, who will serve as the BSEE Oil Spill Response Supervisor. Mr. Moore has more than 14 years of experience with the Department of the Interior. He most recently served as the Coordinator of BOEMRE's Oil Spill Program. He earned a Master of Engineering degree from Tulane University and a Master of Urban and Regional Planning degree from the University of New Orleans.
- Bob Brown, who will serve as the BSEE Associate Director for Administration. Mr. Brown has more than 30 years of experience at the Department of the Interior, Small Business Administration and U.S. Navy. He most recently served as the BOEMRE Associate Director for Administration and Budget and Chief Information Officer. Mr. Brown earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Seton Hall University and pursued post-graduate studies in History at Georgetown University.
- Lars Herbst, who will serve as the BSEE Gulf of Mexico Regional Director. Mr. Herbst has over 27 years of experience with the Department of the Interior. He most recently served as the Gulf of Mexico Regional Director for BOEMRE. He is a registered professional engineer in the State of Louisiana and earned a Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Engineering from Louisiana State University.
- Jaron E. Ming, who will serve as the BSEE Pacific Region Director. Mr. Ming most recently served as the Pacific Region's Lead Leasing Specialist. He previously served as the Senior Policy Advisor to the Regional Director. He started his career in the federal government as a Presidential Management Fellow. Mr. Ming earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Georgetown University, a Master of Arts degree in Marine Affairs and Policy from the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, and a Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Miami School of Law.
- Mark Fesmire, who will serve as the BSEE Alaska Region Director. Mr. Fesmire most recently served in the New Mexico Energy Minerals and Natural Resources Department, where he has was the Director of the state oil and gas regulatory agency and Chairman of the Oil and Gas Commission for the past seven years. Prior to attending New Mexico State University where he received bachelor's degrees in Geological and Civil Engineering, Mr. Fesmire worked in the offshore oil fields of the Gulf of Mexico. After 12 years as a petroleum engineer, he completed Law School at the Texas Tech University School of Law. He is a Registered Professional Petroleum Engineer and Licensed Attorney.
BSEE is currently accepting applications for the Deputy Director position. More information can be obtained at: http://www.boemre.gov/jobs/.
More information on BOEMRE's reorganization, including organization charts for the new bureaus, can be found at http://www.boemre.gov/reorganization.htm.
Posted: September 13, 2011