BBB Release: Steer Toward Reliable Auto Businesses
Auto Dealers and Repair Shops Remain Parked on Alaska's Top 20
Anchorage, Alaska – Sept. 27, 2011 – Better Business Bureau cautions consumers to tread carefully before purchasing or repairing vehicles. "Auto Dealers – Used Cars," "Auto Dealers – New Cars" and "Auto Repair & Service" companies are consistently among BBB's top 20 most-complained-about Alaskan industries.
- Research makes, models, pricing, reliability and other features before shopping. Establish a budget of possible fees and maintenance expenses. If financing is necessary, contact a trusted bank or financial institution for help.
- Shop around at various dealerships. Visit bbb.org for BBB Business Reviews.
- Test drive vehicles and inspect them carefully. If buying used, consider taking the car to a trusted auto shop for a professional appraisal.
- Get a firm written price quote. Review and understand the contract thoroughly before signing. Collect business cards for sales and service representatives. Retain copies of policies and warranties.
- Check with the Alaska Department of Law Consumer Protection Unit for more tips. New vehicle buyers should also review Alaska's Lemon Law.
Auto Service Seekers – Steer toward reliable "Auto Repair & Service" companies:
- Ask friends, associates and relatives for recommendations.
- Find free BBB Business Reviews on local repair and service providers. Be wary of unanswered or unresolved complaints.
- Search for competent mechanics and technicians, with trade school diplomas and National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence or ASE certifications.
- Read Alaska's Automobile Repair Act and ask for itemized estimates, detailing costs for parts and labor. Ensure guarantees or other policies are posted. For major repairs, get bids from several shops.
- Review the Federal Trade Commission's auto repair tips.
Better Business Bureau serving Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington: Working to advance marketplace trust, BBB is a neutral not-for-profit organization supported by BBB Accredited Businesses. BBB provides ethical business standards, BBB Business Reviews, Charity Reviews, complaint handling, marketplace events and tips. For more information, contact BBB or visit bbb.org.
Posted: September 27, 2011