Road construction in Anchorage wrapping up on time$169 Million Investment to Improve City Streets Largely a Success
Anchorage- As the weather turns colder and termination dust creeps down the mountains,
Anchorage’s busy road construction season is wrapping up. More than 34 road and street
improvement projects valued at more than $169 million are scheduled to be completed in
Anchorage before the snow flies, Mayor Dan Sullivan announced today. This summer’s road
construction program was aimed at reducing Anchorage’s traffic congestion, improving
neighborhood connections and maintaining the city’s roads.
“Our plan since day one was to focus on maintaining the assets we already have- and we’ve
met that obligation,” said Mayor Sullivan. “This year’s road design and construction program
also greatly improves traffic flow through what traditionally have been bottlenecks in the city.”
The city roads scheduled for completion include: Arctic Boulevard phase IV; Edward St.;
Klatt/C St. intersection; 88th Ave.; and the Chester Creek/UAA Trail. The chart below further
details where improvements will be finished up or, in some cases, continue through the winter
Lake Otis & Tudor Improvements
Substantially complete, still working on bus stops and landscaping.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave
Substantially complete, still working on landscaping, bridge detailing.
B Street Reconstruction - 40th Ave. to Tudor Rd.
Construction underway, anticipate opening to traffic by Oct 15.
Construction to be completed in 2011.
Leawood Dr. Roy St. Reconstruction
40th Ave Extension Lake Otis to Dale St.
Construction issued effective Sept. 13.
Work anticipated continuing through winter as weather permits.
Completion scheduled for October 15, 2011
Spenard Road Reconstruction – Hillcrest Dr. to Chester Creek
Substantially complete. Some signing and striping to be completed.
• 36th Ave at MacInnes signal will be substantially complete.
• 6th Ave. Reconstruction from Muldoon to Oklahoma will be complete.
• 9th Ave. Reconstruction (Phase I) from L Street to C St. and from A St. to Cordova will be
substantially completed. The section from A St. to C St. will be completed in 2011.
• Blueberry/Northern Lights Pedestrian Safety Improvements will be substantially complete.
• Independence Drive from Colony Loop to O’Malley (Phase I) will be substantially complete.
• Van Buren/48th Ave. (Phase I) will be substantially complete.
• Park Improvements at Jewel Lake Park, Valley of the Moon and Woodland Park will be substantially complete.
• 72nd Ave.: Brayton Dr. to Lake Otis Pkwy is underway and will be completed in 2011.
• 76th Ave.: Chad St. to C St. is complete.
• Muirwood Park storm drain improvements are complete.
• Pioneer Home sidewalk replacement is complete.
Funding for this year’s road improvements came from a combination of local bonds and
state and federal grants.
Posted: September 29, 2010
More Government & Politics »