Anchorage Chamber of Commerce New Gold Pan Awards ‘All About Business’
Revamped awards event includes two new awards, networking reception
ANCHORAGE - The Anchorage Chamber of Commerce's new and improved 2009 Gold Pan Awards will kick off at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Sep. 17 at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts.
The Gold Pan Awards, now in its 52nd year, are given to individuals, organizations and businesses for their commitment to community. Thanks to valuable event feedback from Anchorage Chamber members, the Gold Pan Awards have been restructured to help the legacy event with changing times and truly be "all about business."
Below is a list of this year's exciting changes, as well as a schedule of the evening's events.
New to this Year's Gold Pan Awards
· New networking opportunities: Starting at 5 p.m., Anchorage Chamber businesses of all sizes will mingle during a half-hour cocktail reception. It is also a chance for members to meet the 12 finalists. The price to attend this year's event was reduced so that all businesses had the opportunity to attend.
· Shorter Gold Pan Awards program: From 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., the awards show will take place in the Discovery Theater, featuring four Gold Pan Awards categories and this year's Chairman's Awards.
· New Awards: The Entrepreneurial and Business Excellence Awards were added to highlight six finalists and two recipients that have exemplified creative vision and talent and contributed to the economic vitality of Anchorage.
· Celebration reception: At 6:30 p.m., attendants will convene for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres with musician Bryson Andres, "the violin guy," playing until 7 p.m.
The twelve finalists in all four categories are listed below. A short biography of each finalist can be found on Anchoragechamber.org on the "Gold Pan Awards" page under "Event Info."
Distinguished Community Service (Individual or Small Business/ Organization)
- Anchorage Project Access
- Carla Beam, director of community affairs, BP
- Tennys Owens, president and owner, Artique, Ltd.
- Salvation Army
- The Odom Corporation
- Alaska Communications Systems
- Carl Propes, Jr., president and owner, Scan Home
- David Alexander, president and CEO, Nine Star Enterprises, Inc.
- Tim Melican, owner, Magic Bus
- Kaladi Brothers Coffee Co.
- Neeser Construction, Inc.
- Senior Care of Alaska, Inc.