Dan Sullivan Announces Run for U.S. Senate
Sullivan Storms the State with Road Trip to Three Alaskan Communities
ANCHORAGE, AK - Former Alaska Attorney General and former Commissioner of the Department of Natural Resources, Dan Sullivan, announced his candidacy this morning for the United States Senate. A Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves, Sullivan is optimistic about Alaska's future, and committed to bringing a NEW energy for Alaska to the U.S. Senate.
"This morning I am announcing that I am running for the United States Senate. I have dedicated my life to serving Alaska and America. I love my state and have a passion for helping fellow Alaskans," Sullivan said, at the first of three stops to share his message with Alaskans - spreading the word in Anchorage, up through Wasilla, before ending his trek in Fairbanks, where he and his wife were married over 19 years ago.
His campaign will focus on three critical areas that he believes are all equally important:
Accelerating the Alaska energy and economic renaissance
Continuing his effective fight against federal overreach
Protecting Alaskans, their families, individual rights, fiscal future, and security
"We have huge opportunities before us – especially the energy resurgence that is beginning to take place across Alaska and parts of the United States. But Washington is broken – not only does it ignore these opportunities – it undermines them by shutting down responsible resource development in Alaska, curtailing our individual rights, and mortgaging our children’s future with trillion dollar deficits."
"I am running for the United States Senate to provide strong leadership and Alaskan resolve to create an enduring energy and economic renaissance that will lift Alaska and America – creating jobs, prosperity, and security into this new century," said Sullivan, standing with his wife Julie and three daughters.
"Over the past four years, we have gotten big things done for Alaska in all of these areas – real results, not just talk. We did this by applying conservative principles – less government and more freedom – with dogged determination to address Alaska’s challenges," said Sullivan. "I am confident that I have the breadth of experience on critical Alaskan and national issues, the leadership, and fighting spirit to get big things done for Alaska in the United States Senate."
Dan Sullivan's entire remarks are below, as prepared for delivery.
Dan Sullivan–Announcement Address for the United States Senate
(as prepared for delivery)
New Energy for Alaska
October 15, 2013
Why I am Running
• This morning I am announcing that I am running for the United States Senate.
• I have dedicated my life to serving Alaska and America. I love my state and I have a passion for helping fellow Alaskans.
• We have huge opportunities before us – especially the energy resurgence that is beginning to take place across Alaska and parts of the United States
• But Washington is broken – not only does it ignore these opportunities – it undermines them by: o Shutting down responsible resource development in Alaska
o Curtailing our individual rights, and
o Mortgaging our children’s future with trillion dollar deficits
• We can – we must – and we will change this – for our Alaskan families, our state economy, and for our national security in a dangerous world.
• I am running for the United States Senate to provide strong leadership and Alaskan resolve to create an enduring energy and economic renaissance that will lift Alaska and America – creating jobs, prosperity, and security into this new century.
• I ask my fellow Alaskans to join me in bringing new energy to Alaska and Congress and seizing the opportunity and promising future that lies before us.
• Given these tremendous opportunities, my campaign will focus on three critical areas:
• First, accelerating the Alaska energy and economic renaissance that is spreading from Cook Inlet, the Interior, to the North Slope – to create more opportunity, energy security, and jobs for Alaskans.
o This includes all of world class resources – oil and gas, renewable energy, minerals, coal, timber, and our bountiful fisheries – and the value-added industries that go with them.
• Just as importantly, we will continue our effective fight against federal overreach into the lives of Alaskans and our economy.
o Many talk about this idea, but I am proud to have been on the front lines over the past four years – actually fighting these battles – in the arena – every day for our citizens.
• Finally, we will focus on protecting Alaskans: our families, individual rights, fiscal future, and security.
o This means the bedrock defense of the Second Amendment, ensuring a strong national defense, and standing up for our veterans – all of our veterans – who have defended our great nation for decades.
o As a Lieutenant Colonel in the Marine Corps Reserves, I know how important it is for our veterans to get the support they have earned – but are not getting from Washington today.
o This has to change!
• Over the past four years, we have gotten big things done for Alaska in all of these areas – REAL RESULTS, NOT JUST TALK.
• We did this by applying conservative principles – less government and more freedom – with dogged determination to address Alaska’s challenges.
• But we must do more, and Washington needs to help, not be the obstacle that it is today with its broken institutions and policies that clearly aim to limit Alaska’s full potential.
• I am confident that I have the breadth of experience on critical Alaska and national issues, the leadership, and fighting spirit to get big things done for Alaska in the United States Senate.
• Starting this morning, we will be campaigning statewide. I resigned from Governor Parnell’s cabinet so I could put 110% of my efforts into this campaign – to win this campaign. And we will win!
• I will be traveling throughout the state to hear about Alaskans’ hopes and concerns; to listen and understand the issues more deeply; and to share my background, commitment, and vision of opportunity for Alaska.
The Importance of Family and Optimism
• As you can see, I am a very blessed man. I have my family and many friends with me today. As many of you know, my love of Alaska began over 23 years ago, when I met a beautiful Athabaskan woman named Julie Fate while she was working in Senator Steven’s office. Love of my life. In addition to her own rich heritage, she showed me the beauty and majesty of our great state when I was a young man – fish camp on the Yukon and Northern Lights on cold clear nights in Fairbanks.
• I became part of this wonderful family – led by my mother and father-in-law, Bud and Mary Jane Fate – when Julie and I were married in Fairbanks 19 years ago.
• Julie and I have been blessed with three amazing daughters, Meghan, Isabella, and Laurel. Who are also here today, representing the future of Alaska.
• As Alaskans, we are ALL truly blessed: breathtaking beauty, world class resources, boundless opportunities, and above all amazing, talented and diverse people.
• Knowing this, it is hard not to be optimistic about our future.
• Unfortunately, regarding our country, it is another story. Our youth have been raised in an era of cynicism, decline, and diminished expectations: rancor not results from Washington; the selective – not principled – enforcement of the law; shamefully high levels of unemployment throughout much of America; and leading from behind in a world where our adversaries don’t fear us and our friends don’t trust us.
• But negativity and cynicism are not what made this such a great state and country. Optimism, big dreams, hard work, and self-reliance are what made us great.
• We will run a positive campaign based on vision, creative energy, can-do spirit, and above all optimism. This is at the core of my being about how I view Alaska and America’s future. I have no doubt that our best days are ahead of us.
• And we want all of you to join us, to support our campaign to bring new energy to Alaska, new energy to Congress, to get things done!
• Thank you for coming out this morning! And God Bless all of you and the Great State of Alaska!
• Now it’s off to Wasilla and Fairbanks – on our three whistle stop tour, storming the state – to announce our candidacy to our friends in the Valley and the Interior!
Visit Sullivan2014.com for more on Dan and his campaign.
Paid for by Sullivan for U.S. Senate.
Posted: October 15, 2013