ANMC hosts Health Fair at AFN Convention
WHAT: Southcentral Foundation (SCF) and the Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium (ANTHC) are co-hosting the ANMC Health Fair at the AFN Convention again this year for convention attendees.
WHEN: Thursday, Oct. 18, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 19, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
WHERE: Dena'ina Civic and Convention Center, 2nd Floor
WHO: Made possible by Southcentral Foundation, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Alaska Dept. of Health and Social Services
WHY: With a mission of Working together with the Native Community to achieve wellness by providing the highest quality health services for all Alaska Natives, the ANMC Health Fair at the AFN Convention provides an opportunity to share health and wellness information with Alaska Native people. Visitors will have an opportunity to have their BINGO cards stamped at the various booths to be entered into a prize drawing.
Flu Shot Clinic – SCF Pharmacy, along with ANTHC and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is donating approximately 500 flu shots during the ANMC Health Fair to improve access to the flu vaccine and provide protection for influenza for Alaska Native people attending AFN. Currently, immunization rates for Alaska Native people on most vaccines are higher than the national average. Although, flu vaccination rates for Alaska Native Elders – at 45 percent – are lower than the U.S. – which is at 57 percent.
Other programs on hand to discuss proactive health and wellness include:
· Rethink Your Drink (SCF Health Education)
· Know Your Numbers-Know Your Health (SCF Health Education) – visitors can check their blood pressure, blood glucose and body mass index
· Diabetes Program (SCF and ANTHC Health Education)
· Traditional Foods / Store Outside Your Door (SCF and ANTHC Health Education)
· Department of Environmental Health and Engineering (ANTHC)
· Clinical & Research Services/Liver Disease & Hepatitis/HIV and STD (ANTHC)
· Quit Tobacco & Tobacco cessation break area (SCF Health Education)
· Access to Recovery (SCF)
· Family Wellness Warriors Initiative (SCF)
· Behavioral Health: Domestic Violence (ANTHC)
· Healthy Alaskans 2020 (ANTHC)
· Injury Prevention (ANTHC)
· Family Health Resources (SCF and ANTHC)
· Maternal Child Health & lactation lounge (SCF and MCH)
· ANMC Dental
· Dental Health Aide Program (ANTHC)
· Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (ANMC RN)
· Breast and Cervical Cancer Awareness (SCF)
· Colorectal Cancer Awareness (SCF)
· Large walk-through colon (SCF)