Anglo American plc Interim Management Statement Production Report for the third quarter ended 30 September 2011
Iron ore production increased by 3% to 12.2 million tonnes mainly due to increased volumes from Kumba’s Sishen Mine
- The commissioning of Kolomela mine commenced successfully during August 2011.
Metallurgical Coal - total production (metallurgical and thermal coal) increased by 5% to 8.0 million tonnes, with a 24% increase and record production from Australian open cut operations
- Production of metallurgical coal decreased by 4% to 4.0 million tonnes, due to planned longwall moves at the underground operations.
- Thermal coal production from South Africa and Colombia decreased by 10% to 16.8 million tonnes, mainly due to industrial action at the South African operations, partly offset by an 18% increase in production from Colombia.
Copper production decreased by 9% to 139,900 tonnes, due to a number of factors including expected lower grades
- Full year production expected to be marginally higher than 2010, based on the commissioning of the Los Bronces expansion project in Q4.
- Nickel(1) production increased by 14% to 6,500 tonnes, as Barro Alto production continues to ramp up.
- Platinum equivalent refined production increased by 3%, while refined production decreased by 7% to 647,000 ounces.
- Diamond production increased by 3% to 9.3 million carats despite industrial actions at operations in South Africa and Namibia.
- Phosphates production from Copebrás increased by 10% to 285,000 tonnes.
- Niobium production from Catalão increased by 22% to 1,100 tonnes.
- Los Bronces 278,000 tonnes per annum(2) expansion project in commissioning phase.
- Codelco announced on 12 October 2011 that it has put a financing facility in place for its option that it may exercise over a 49% shareholding in Anglo American Sur (Los Bronces, El Soldado and Chagres smelter) in Chile. Anglo American received written notice from Codelco on 13 October 2011 stating that it intends to exercise its option. Anglo American is considering the implications of Codelco’s announcement and written notice.
Preliminary Results for the full year to 31 December 2011 will be announced on 17 February 2012.
This report forms Anglo American plc’s Interim Management Statement for the purpose of the UK Listing Authority’s Disclosure and Transparency Rules.
(1) Nickel production from the Nickel business unit
(2) Additional capacity over first three years
Anglo American plc is one of the world’s largest mining companies, is headquartered in the UK and listed on the London and Johannesburg stock exchanges. Anglo American’s portfolio of mining businesses spans bulk commodities – iron ore and manganese, metallurgical coal and thermal coal; base metals – copper and nickel; and precious metals and minerals – in which it is a global leader in both platinum and diamonds. Anglo American is committed to the highest standards of safety and responsibility across all its businesses and geographies and to making a sustainable difference in the development of the communities around its operations. The company’s mining operations and extensive pipeline of growth projects are located in southern Africa, South America, Australia, North America and Asia. www.angloamerican.com
Posted: October 20, 2011