AFN Alaska Marketplace Competition Winners' Announcement
The Results Are In...
Today, Alaska Federation of Natives (AFN) President Julie Kitka announced the names of the 2011 Alaska Marketplace Competition winners.
The amount of seed money awarded to this year's winners ranged from $25,000 to $1,000, totaling $199,000 awarded to the 21 finalists.
Here is the complete list of winners:
ALASKA MARKETPLACE BUSINESS/NONPROFIT IDEA WINNERS
Top Three Winners (Receiving $25,000 each)
- Rodrick Phillip - Caniineq Wind Group
- Tessa Baldwin - Hope4Alaska
- Edmond Apassingok - Aksik Detachable Fins
Additional Winners (Receiving from $22,000-$2,000)
- Erin Margaret Forton - Bering Tea ($22,000)
- Lindsey Meyers - Food As Medicine ($20,000)
- Michael Golub - RevUp: Electric Car Instruction ($15,000)
- Teri Crawley Norton - Sea Salt From Alaska ($10,000)
- Phillip Solomon - Yukon River Fish Wheel Kits ($10,000)
- John Stam - Circular Sawmill in Galena ($10,000)
- Heather Wells - Enchanted Forest Nursery ($5,000)
- Rebecca Wilbur* - Yup'ik Originals ($5,000)
- Etta Tall - Auka's JBK Salve ($3,000)
- Penny Olanna - Tory's Tea ($3,000)
- Michelle Sparck - ArXotica ($2,000)
- Dune Lankard - Copper River Wild Salmon Company ($2,000)
- Agnes Phillips - Betty's Shop ($2,000)
- Tim Meyers - Meyers Farm ($2,000)
- Eva Sheldon - Kobuk River Cabins ($2,000)
- Michelle Skennell - Tundra Toys ($2,000)
- Mark & Shelly Leary - Stone Woman Adventures ($2,000)
- Kate Rich & Ezekiel Tenhoff - Nome Yurt Camp ($2,000)
*People's Choice Award Winner
ESSAY COMPETITION WINNERS
(Receiving $1,000 each)
- Vera Starbard - Net-based Behavioral Health for Youth Suicide Prevention
- Dale Rooney - A New Paradigm for Energy Storage, Distribution and Use
- Kathy Pratt - Visit to Alaska
- Tiffany Jackson - QTTech
- Walter Rose - Norton Sound Biomass Heating Solutions
Our sincere thanks to the hundreds of Native thinkers who submitted their great ideas and to the 43 judges and assessors who donated their time to help make this competition a great success!
The Alaska Marketplace Competition is an initiative of the Alaska Federation of Natives and is supported by a dedicated group of sponsors including the Denali Commission, BP and ConocoPhillips.