New Alaska State Legislature Senate Majority Organization Forms
ANCHORAGE- Newly elected members of the Senate are proud to announce that they have formed a new majority organization within the Senate. The newly elected senators came together from all across the state, with varying backgrounds, to work together to address issues important to all Alaskans.
The Senators say they are looking forward to the year ahead with optimism and a strong sense of a purpose.
The group has named the following leadership positions:
- Senate President - Senator Charlie Huggins
- Senate Majority - Senator John Coghill
- Rules Chair - Senator Lesil McGuire
- Finance Co-Chair - Senator Kevin Meyer
- Finance Co-Chair - Senator Pete Kelly
“If Lewis and Clark were alive today, they would surely be looking at the Arctic as the new frontier, and our senate caucus intends to do just that,” said Senator Lesil McGuire.
For decades, the Legislature has routinely formed bipartisan majorities. In the long-standing tradition of working in that bipartisan manner, they intend to build upon relationships forged in years past and work across the aisle to address the following:
TOP THREE AREAS OF FOCUS
- Increasing oil production in Alaska and, in turn, the flow rate of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline.
- Delivering affordable energy to Alaskans to their energy needs, as well as commercializing our vast supply of natural gas and exporting it to create a new economy in Alaska.
- Develop sustainable capital and operating budgets for current and future generations
OTHER AREAS OF INTEREST
- Declining Alaskan salmon stocks
- Graduation rates, job training, and voc tech opportunities
- Alaska’s role as the gateway of the Arctic