America Recycles Day on November 15 Also Proclaimed “Anchorage Recycles Day”
The Mayor's Office and the Anchorage Assembly both recently signed a proclamation that November 15, 2010, is Anchorage Recycles Day.
November 15 is already "America Recycles Day," a day designated for raising awareness about recycling and buying recycled products. By proclaiming the day as "Anchorage Recycles Day" as well, the Mayor's Office hopes to further the message by making it more personal to the Anchorage community.
"I have always supported the ideals behind recycling and buying recycled products, including saving money and decreasing resource use," said Mayor Sullivan. "Making Anchorage residents more aware of the benefits of recycling can only help Anchorage become more efficient and sustainable." Several local recycling-related businesses and organizations recently collaborated to organize a flash mob at the Dena'ina Convention Center during the annual Anchorage Holiday Food and Gift Festival. The mob of about 200 recycling enthusiasts descended on the shoppers and vendors, revealed a green shirt and danced to a short recycling song while waving a sign with the America Recycles Day "I Recycle" logo, then dispersed, leaving the crowd surprised but thinking about recycling!
"This was a fresh way to kick off America Recycles Day with an enthusiastic group of recycling supporters having fun with outreach. We were thrilled with the turnout and support for recycling through the flash mob," said Donna Mears, SWS Recycling Coordinator.
Some events already planned:
- Saturday, November 13 -- Girdwood Recycling Sign-up Event, Crow Creek Mercantile, High Tower Rd., Girdwood, 10am - 2pm. Girdwood Recycling celebrates America Recycles Day by promoting new front-door recycling pick-up service available to residents. Staff will be on site at the Merc from 10am to 2pm to tell people about the new service and sign people up.
- Saturday, November 13 -- Total Reclaim's Electronics Recycling Event, 12101 Industry Way, #C4, Anchorage, 10am - 2pm. Total Reclaim is accepting electronics for recycling on Saturday for $25/carload. Limit two computer monitors/TVs per car. The event is only open to residential customers.
- Unacceptable items include vacuum cleaners and smoke alarms.
- Monday, November 15 - Metal Monday at Schnitzer Steel Alaska, 9705 King Street, Anchorage, 8am - 4pm. Bring in your metal for recycling and get PAID!! No minimum weight requirements for payment on America Recycles Day!
- Monday, November 15 -- CARRS stores at Huffman, Aurora Village and Jewel Lake, 2pm - 7pm. Stop by to learn more about recycling and enter to win a Giant Revel mountain bike from Paramount Cycles. ALPAR, Green Star, Municipality of Anchorage Solid Waste Services, Alaska Waste, Smurfit-Stone Recycling, Alaska Youth for Environmental Action and others will host the information tables.
- Check www.americarecyclesday.org and type in your zip code for more events planned for America Recycles Day.
- Check out the America Recycles in Anchorage Facebook page for more local information.
More information about recycling can be found at www.muni.org/sws.