Alaska Geographic USGS Map Store Closes, Moves Online
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The U.S. Geological Survey is reducing its footprint on the Alaska Pacific University campus by closing the Map Store @ USGS to lower rent costs. The store will remain open through October 31, 2014.
The move is part of a larger consolidation plan motivated by the PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE to reduce government space. There is not a plan to reduce staff, and the USGS will continue to maintain all operations currently housed in Anchorage.
Alaska Geographic, the congressionally-designated nonprofit that currently operates the Map Store @ USGS, will continue to sell a selection of top selling USGS maps at their new retail store in Anchorage’s Ship Creek located at 241 North C Street.
Most USGS products (including historic publications) are now online and can be downloaded free. Many geologic and topographic maps and scientific publications can be ordered through the USGS ONLINE STORE or mail-ordered from the USGS Denver warehouse. The UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA FAIRBANKS carries all of the USGS topographic and state maps covering Alaska.
The public may continue to visit the Map Store @ USGS until its closure on October 31, 2014. The store is located on the first floor of the USGS building, Glenn Olds Hall, 4210 University Drive on the Alaska Pacific University campus in Anchorage. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 10am – 5pm.
Click on the map for information on downloading and purchasing USGS Topo Maps of Alaska
Frequently Asked Questions about the Closing of the Map Store
1. Why is the Map Store closing?
The U.S. Geological Survey is reducing its footprint on the Alaska Pacific University campus by closing its Map Store to lower rent costs. The move is part of a larger consolidation plan motivated by the PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE to reduce government space.
2. Where will I get USGS maps after the Map Store closes?
- Alaska Geographic (907-331-8626) will offer popular map titles at their Anchorage office, located at 241 North C Street.
- The UAF - Geophysical Institute Map Store (907-474-6166) carries all of the USGS topographic and state maps covering Alaska. Maps are available to order online and/or download: https://www.asf.alaska.edu/maps-photography/
- To order maps directly from the U.S. Geological Survey: Go to STORE.USGS.GOV and click on the thumbnail of the U.S. near the center.
Prices typically range from 8 to 15 dollars. Allow about 3 weeks for delivery. For assistance, call 1-888-ASK-USGS. A form is attached for mail or fax orders.
3. What will happen with leftover products from the Map Store?
Leftover products from the Map Store will be moved to the other retail locations.
Posted: May 30, 2014