Six FedEx Drivers Earn Top Honors at the 2013 Alaska State Truck Driving Championship
ANCHORAGE, Alaska – May 15, 2013 – Six drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Alaska State Truck Driving Championship in Anchorage this past weekend.
* Doug Rickel, a driver for FedEx Express based in Anchorage, earned his fourth state title this year after finishing first in the Straight Truck class for the second consecutive year. (FedEx Photo)
* Kirt Hartshorn, a driver for Haulin’ Al’s Services Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Fairbanks, captured his third state title with a win in the Step Van class. (FedEx Photo)
* Matt Mongeau, a driver for FedEx Express based in Anchorage, finished second in the 3-Axle class.
* Ron Bernier and Rebecca Nelson finished second and third, respectively, in the Step Van class. Both are FedEx Express drivers based in Anchorage. Nelson was also named Driver of the Year by the Alaska Trucking Association.
* Fellow FedEx Express driver Kitiona Afusia finished third in the Straight Truck class. Afusia is based in Anchorage.
Rickel and Hartshorn will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Alaska state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Alaska State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $44 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.