May 22-24, 2013, "Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: Best Practices in the Last Frontier"
“Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: Best Practices in the Last Frontier”
Arctic FASD Regional Training Center
UAA Center for Behavioral Health Research and Services
May 22–24, 2013
Full agenda: www.akfasd2013.org
500 W. 3rd Ave.
Anchorage, AK 99501
The “Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: Best Practices in the Last Frontier” conference will feature local experts and presenters from around the country, including Kathy Mitchell of the National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Participants will share expertise on the topic of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, including treatment and interventions, assessment and diagnosis, ethical and legal issues, transition to adulthood, advocacy and networking, and research updates.
This conference is designed for health, allied health, education, social, and human service professionals and providers, as well as the learning and networking needs of individuals with FASD and their families, and the professionals working with them.
Sessions of note include:
- Wednesday, May 22, 9 a.m.: “Back to the future: A look at FASD in Alaska, past, present, and future” (Keynote)
- Wednesday, May 22, 10:30 a.m.: “Addressing alcohol intake among women of childbearing age” (Keynote)
- Wednesday, May 22, 1:30 p.m.: “Alaska FASD/FAS surveillance data 1996–2011”
- Wednesday, May 22, 3:30 p.m.: “Diagnosis of FASD: How, what, and why”
- Thursday, May 23, 8:30 a.m.: “The impact of prenatal alcohol exposure on brain development and behavior”
- Thursday, May 23, 10:30 a.m.: “Alaska GROWN: FAScinating Families Camp”
- Thursday, May 23, 12 p.m.: “Creating a Circle of Hope” (Keynote: Kathy Mitchell, NOFAS)
- Friday, May 24, 8:30 a.m. “FASD Family Voice Panel Discussion: Strategies for Success!”
- Friday, May 24, 10:30 a.m. “FASD in Alaska: Where now?”
Alexandra Edwards, firstname.lastname@example.org, (907) 786-6381
Posted: May 20, 2013