Horn Doctor Expands
Longtime Anchorage business The Horn Doctor Music Store completed a $1 million, 7,500-square-foot addition this spring. The move comes amid a trend of closures in locally owned music stores nationwide, cited Horn Doctor owner John Kagerer, as small music businesses face competition from big box retailers and online sellers. The Horn Doctor, which marks its 25th anniversary this year, also opened an expanded retail division under a new name, Alaska Music and Sound. The changes allow the company to increase the number and type of instruments sold and repaired, and expands products offered, including sound gear and keyboards. Kagerer opened The Horn Doctor in 1984, primarily offering repair of brass and wind instruments at a rented building on Hyder Street in Fairview. In 1988, Kagerer moved the business to 1000 Ingra St., in a 1,900-square-foot building that used to be the Fairview Post Office. Over the years, the business has expanded from just repairing to selling all types of new and used instruments, as well as accessories. The current expansion has been several years in the making. Kagerer's wife, Barbara, joined the business in 2004 and they bought the lot next door to the store the next year. They demolished a deteriorated house on the property in 2007 and broke ground on a 7,600-square-foot new building in August 2008. The final touches on the building addition, which is attached to the original store, were completed this spring.