Governor Establishes Municipal Gas Project Review Board
March 25, 2014, Juneau, Alaska – Governor Sean Parnell met yesterday with Mat-Su Borough Mayor Larry DeVilbiss, Fairbanks North Star Borough Mayor Luke Hopkins, Kenai Peninsula Borough Mayor Pam Highly, Anchorage Mayor Dan Sullivan, and Denali Borough Mayor Clay Walker to ensure meaningful local input in a gas project. Following the meeting, the governor signed an administrative order establishing the Municipal Advisory Gas Project Review Board. The purpose of the review board will be to develop a framework for assessing the impact and benefits, especially on communities, of a future Alaska natural gasline.
“As we continue to advance an Alaska gasline, I am committed to ensuring local participation,” Governor Parnell said. “The Municipal Advisory Gas Project Review Board will provide a meaningful venue for mayors, communities and my administration. We are making remarkable progress on the Alaska LNG Project, and I look forward to continuing to work with legislators and municipalities to bring Alaska’s gas to Alaskans.”
The review board is charged with reviewing available information, holding public meetings, and providing annual reports to the governor and Legislature by December 15 of each year. The report will include the potential benefits and impacts of North Slope natural gas development and new infrastructure, recommendations for changes to property tax statutes related to a natural gas project, and other issues dealing with the effects of a major gas project on Alaska communities.
The Municipal Advisory Gas Project Review Board will be comprised of:
- Commissioner of the Department of Revenue, who will serve as the chair of the board.
- Commissioner of the Department of Natural Resources.
- Commissioner of the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development.
- Mayors from the following areas: North Slope Borough, Fairbanks North Star Borough, Denali Borough, Mat-Su Borough, and Kenai Peninsula Borough.
- One member of an organization representing all municipalities in the state, regardless of where that person resides.
- Two members of the public who do not reside in the five boroughs already represented.
A copy of the governor’s AO can be found here: http://gov.alaska.gov/parnell_media/resources_files/ao_032514.pdf
A photo from the governor’s meeting with the mayors is available at: http://gov.alaska.gov/parnell_media/press/03242014_akmayors.jpg