ELECTRIC POWER MONTHLY & ELECTRICITY MONTHLY UPDATE – March 2013
The Electricity Monthly Update, March 2013 edition presenting January 2013 data, has been released. Highlights include:
- The monthly average of daily spot natural gas price for New York City went from $5.54 / MMBtu in December 2012 to $10.36 / MMBtu in January 2013 due to a cold snap experienced in the northeast at the end of January..
- The northeast saw a significant year-over-year decrease in electricity generation from natural gas due to the significant increase in regional natural gas prices. Generation from coal and other fossil fuels displaced natural gas generation.
- Daily spot wholesale electricity prices in New England and New York rose significantly in the second half of January. The reported hub prices in these regions peaked on January 25th, at $253.36/MWh in New York and $260.51/MWh in New England.
- A feature article on U.S. power plant investment in scrubbers from 2007 to 2011.
See the full Electricity Monthly Update report at:
The Electric Power Monthly, March 2013 edition presenting January 2013 data, has been released. Highlights include:
- In January 2013, net generation in the United States was up 2.3 percent from January 2012.
- Retail sales of electricity were up 2.1 percent from January 2012.
• The average U.S. retail price of electricity in November 2012 was up 0.5 percent from 9.61 cents/kWh in January 2012 to 9.66 cents/kWh in January 2013.