Murkowski Morning Meeting, 3/7/2012 - The Navy's Arctic Future
The Navy’s “Road Map to the Arctic”
Alaskan Impact: Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus testified before the Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee today about details within the fiscal year 2013 Navy Budget. Senator Murkowski asked him whether the opening waters of the Arctic Ocean are being eyed by the Navy, given the Pentagon’s recently-stated Asia-Pacific focus.
Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee Hearing
Topic: “Navy Budget”
- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus
- Adm. Jonathan Greenert, chief of naval operations
Watch the entire hearing online: http://1.usa.gov/jaYAdc
House of Representatives Events
Alaska’s Cyber-security Protections
Alaskan Impact: The State of Alaska has begun a cyber-security campaign, seeing what the FBI sees: that cyber-security will soon overtake terrorism as a national threat. The House Energy and Commerce committee explored public-private prevention measures, a focus of Senator Murkowski’s SECURE IT Act.
House Communications and Technology Subcommittee Hearing
Topic: “Role of Communications Networks in Cyber-security”
- Edward Amoroso, chief security officer at AT&T Services Inc.
- David Mahon, chief security officer for Century Link
- Jason Livingood, Comcast Corporation
Watch the entire hearing online: http://1.usa.gov/xgSR4I
Fighting Alaska’s $100 Fill-Ups
Alaskan Impact: With Alaskans facing gas prices starting around $4.00/gallon, the House Energy and Commerce Committee explored how to lessen the pain at the pump. Last week Senator Murkowski joined three of her Senate colleagues to say the President “isn’t getting it” on an all-of-the-above energy strategy.
House Energy Subcommittee Hearing
Topic: “Rising Gas Prices”
- Jack Gerard, president and CEO of the American Petroleum Institute
- Robert McNally, president of The Rapidan Group
- Charles Drevna, president, American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers
Watch the entire hearing online: http://1.usa.gov/wAhshj
Posted: March 7, 2012