FAA Awards $32 million to Alaska Airports
Washington, D.C. - The Alaska Congressional Delegation is pleased to announce that airports in Alaska have been awarded $32 million in grants through the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Airport Improvement Program (AIP).
Provided to public-use airports, AIP funds in Alaska will be utilized for runway rehabilitation projects and efforts to improve airport safety. Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport will receive four grants totaling $17.5 million. Airports in Barrow, Kotzebue, Wasilla, Yakutat and Anchorage's Merrill Field will also be receiving awards.
"In Alaska, we take to the skies out of necessity and these funds are an investment to keep our planes and passengers safe. Having been on many of these runways myself I am pleased to know that the FAA is supporting the maintenance and improvement of our aviation infrastructure," said Sen. Mark Begich.
"The funds being released today by the Department of Transportation will greatly improve the facilities that are vital to Alaska's aviation infrastructure. I am especially pleased to see these much needed funds going to projects for rural airfields which are essential to those communities," said Sen. Lisa Murkowski
"Alaska is a state with a road system smaller than that of Washington, D.C. and where many residents are licensed pilots. These Airport Improvement Program grants will be a great help to the upkeep and maintenance of our airports, and will provide a boost to our local economies when they need it most," said Rep. Don Young.
Federal Aviation Administration - Airport Improvement Program Grants:
- $10,500,000 to the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. Funding will be utilized for runway rehabilitation work.
- $4,000,000 to the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. Funding will be utilized for runway widening.
- $1,795,130 to the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. Funding will be utilized for airport terminal modifications.
- $1,250,000 to the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. Funding will be utilized to purchase an aircraft rescue & fire fighting vehicle.
- $7,200,000 to the Wiley Post-Will Rogers Memorial Airport of Barrow. Funding will be utilized to construct a runway safety area.
- $3,500,000 to Merrill Field of Anchorage. Funding will be utilized for runway rehabilitation work.
- $2,000,000 to the Ralph Wien Memorial Airport of Kotzebue. Funding will be utilized to acquire safety equipment and/or fencing.
- $1,350,000 to the Wasilla Municipal Airport. Funding will be utilized to construct additional apron space.
- $1,000,000 to Yakutat Airport. Funding will be utilized to purchase an aircraft rescue & fire fighting vehicle.