GVEA’s 2016 Election Results
On Thursday, June 16, 2016, the ballots were tallied. Here are the results of the election:
- District 5 (primarily serving North Pole): Incumbent Chris Bunch retains his seat.
- GVEA’s bylaws state that a 10% return of valid ballots of the total membership of each voting district is required. District 5’s returned ballots did not meet this requirement; therefore, the current director, Chris Bunch, is considered elected and will serve another three-year term (his second). The individual who ran against Chris Bunch was Hank Bartos.
- Of the 5,847 ballots issued, only 471 valid ballots were cast, which constitutes an 8% return. Here’s the breakdown:
- Hank Bartos: 152 votes / 32%
- Chris Bunch: 319 votes / 68%
- District 6 (primarily serving Delta Junction): Incumbent John Sloan was reelected.
- John Sloan ran unopposed. This is his fourth consecutive term. He currently serves as secretary of the Board.
- Of the 1,806 ballots issued, 202 valid ballots were cast, which constitutes an 11% return. All 202 votes went to John Sloan (100%).
- Bylaw Revision: The proposed amendments were accepted.
- With so many amendments to the Bylaws, this was considered a “general revision.” All members were issued a ballot and asked to either vote YES to accept all amendments or NO to reject all amendments.
- Of the 34,947 ballots issued to the entire membership, 2,985 valid ballots were cast. The minimum requirement of 650 returned ballots was met. Here’s the breakdown:
- YES: 2,518 / 84%
- NO: 467 / 16%
Congratulations to the Winners:
- $150 Electric Certificate: Darlene Chaffin from Delta Junction.
- New iPad Air 2: Jacquelyn Goss of Fairbanks.