Murkowski Morning Meeting, June 26th -- Helping Military Members Become Homeowners
U.S. Senate Events
Empowering Servicemen & Women
Alaskan Impact: Alaska’s military members put their lives on the line to protect us, and we show our appreciation back home with support. But, if the Air Force’s proposed F-16 move from Eielson AFB proceeds, Anchorage housing for soldiers and their families could become a problem. Today, the Senate Banking Committee discussed the difficulties of homeownership for our itinerant troops.
Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee Hearing
Topic: “Protecting Servicemembers, Vets and their Families in the Consumer Financial Marketplace”
· Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden
· Col. Paul Kantwill, Pentagon Office of the Undersecretary for Personnel and Readiness
· Holly Petraeus, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Sen. Shelby (R-AL): How does the constant moving affect military members’ housing decisions?
Watch the entire hearing online: http://1.usa.gov/LwL32u
On the Hill Events
Saving the U.S. Postal Service & Saving the U.S. Money
Alaskan Impact: Post offices are a lifeline for Alaskans, as residents across the state depend on the U.S. Postal Service for goods, medicine and food. Senator Murkowski has been fighting for the state’s post offices, but as the Post Office struggles to redefine itself in the 21st Century, the New America Foundation explored solutions to these problems.
The New America Foundation Discussion
Topic: “Saving (at) the Post Office”
· Congressional Savings and Ownership Caucus co-chairs Rep. Jim Cooper, D-Tenn.
· Rep. Tom Petri, R-Wis.
· Sheldon Garon, professor of history at Princeton University
Find out more here: http://bit.ly/KJnTX0
Off the Hill Events
Defense Cuts – What they Could Mean
Alaskan Impact: When Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta testified before the Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee earlier this month, he discussed Eielson AFB with Senator Murkowski and said that cuts to the Pentagon budget through sequestration is “a meat ax.” Today, impacts of budget cuts on the nation’s defense were discussed at the Brookings Institution.
The Brookings Institution Discussion
Topic: “Sequestration and the Nation’s Defense: Prospects and Perils”
· Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., delivers keynote address
· Steve Bell, senior director of economic policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center
· David Worn, head of the Washington office at Palantir Technologies
Find out more here: http://bit.ly/NKUP2n