Huge Victory for American Families as Supreme Court Validates Health Reform
Today the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate is constitutional, thereby allowing health reform and the Medicaid expansion to move forward. The following is the statement of Ron Pollack, Executive Director of Families USA, about this development:
“Today’s Supreme Court ruling is a clear, unambiguous, and complete victory for long-overdue health care reform. It sends an unmistakable message that the building of a better, fairer health care system will continue to move forward.
“Implementing health reform will provide peace of mind for our families – the peace of mind that only comes when our loved ones are sure to receive the health care they need when they need it.
“The Affordable Care Act provides such peace of mind by ensuring that:
* No one will be denied health coverage or charged a discriminatory premium due to a pre-existing condition, such as children with asthma or diabetes;
* People with major health problems, like those in car accidents, will be protected against arbitrary lifetime or annual limits in how much insurance companies will pay for needed care;
* Young adults can stay in their parents’ health plans until they turn 26;
* Tens of millions of uninsured people will gain health care coverage;
* Seniors will receive significant Medicare improvements, such as preventive care with no deductibles or co-pays, and the big prescription drug coverage gap will close;
* Women will no longer be charged discriminatory premiums; and
* Moderate- and middle-income families will receive tax-credit subsidies so that insurance premiums are affordable.
“It has taken close to a century to enact meaningful health care reform. Now that the Supreme Court has upheld the law, it will become a living reality for all Americans very soon.”
Families USA is the national organization for health care consumers. It is nonprofit and nonpartisan, and its mission is to secure high-quality, affordable health coverage and care for all Americans.
1201 New York Avenue, NW * Washington, DC 20005 * 202-628-3030 * Fax: 202-347-2417 * E-mail: email@example.com * Web site: www.familiesusa.org