Senator Meyer Chairs Joint Legislative Higher Education Scholarship Funding Task ForceFriday, June 25, 2010, Anchorage, Alaska-Senator Kevin Meyer, R-Anchorage, Co-Chair of the Senate Education Committee, was named Chair of the Joint Legislative Higher Education Scholarship Funding Task Force by Senate President Gary Stevens (R-Kodiak).
Senate Bill 221, which created the Alaska Performance Scholarship Program, also created the task force to examine scholarship funding. This taskforce will formulate recommendations to the next Legislature on the creation of a complete package of merit and needs based, academic and vocational training scholarships for Alaska's youth.
The 15 member, bi-partisan task force is composed of five members each from the State Senate, House of Representatives and Administration. House Speaker Mike Chenault, (R-Nikiski) recently announced the State House members.
The Joint Legislative Higher Education Scholarship Funding Task Force legislative members include:
· Senator Kevin Meyer (R-Anchorage), Chair
· Representative Paul Seaton (R-Homer), Vice Chair
· Senator Johnny Ellis (D-Anchorage)
· Senator Lyman Hoffman (D-Bethel)
· Senator Gary Stevens (R-Kodiak)
· Senator Joe Thomas (D-Fairbanks)
· Representative Peggy Wilson (R-Wrangell)
· Representative Wes Keller (R-Wasilla)
· Representative Anna Fairclough (R-Eagle River)
· Representative Chris Tuck (D-Anchorage)
Senator Linda Menard, R-Wasilla, will serve as an alternate to the task force.
In accepting the task force chair, Senator Meyer is pleased to have the opportunity to have achievement in Alaska students recognized with a well funded scholarship program.
"By encouraging students to take harder courses in high school, we help them to be better prepared for college, for careers-for life," Senator Meyer said.
Posted: June 28, 2010
More Government & Politics »