Governor Signs General Obligation Bond, School Construction Bills
June 21, 2010, Fairbanks, Alaska – Governor Sean Parnell today signed an education legislation package.
House Bill 424 places a general obligation bond package on the November ballot.
If approved by voters, projects funded by the bonds include:
- University of Alaska life science classroom and laboratory facility
- University of Alaska community arena and athletic facility
- University of Alaska student housing
- State Library, archives, and museum facility
- Alakanuk K-12 school replacement
- Kipnuk K-12 school renovation/addition
- Kwigillingok K-12 school renovation/addition
- Mount EdgecumbeHigh School aquatic facility
Governor Parnell also signed Senate Bill 237. Sponsored by Senate Education Committee Chairmen Kevin Meyer and Joe Thomas, SB 237 extends the 70/30 state/local school construction reimbursement program in urban areas of the state. It also establishes for the first time a rural school construction fund.“A 70/30 reimbursement rate from the state for school district reimbursement, and establishment of the rural school construction fund provides a more level playing field across Alaska for school construction,” Governor Parnell said.