20th IEA World Congress of Epidemiology coming to Anchorage
Anchorage, AK – The 20th International Epidemiological Association (IEA) World Congress of Epidemiology is coming to Anchorage, Alaska on August 17-21 bringing with it 1200 participants from 66 countries. IEA is working in partnership with the University of Alaska Anchorage, as well as local, state, tribal and federal organizations to host this year’s conference with the theme; Global Epidemiology in a Changing Environment: The Circumpolar Perspective.
The Congress is divided into 6 major plenary tracks:
- Circumpolar Health
- Climate Change and Health
- Health Disparities, Ethics of Human Rights and Social Justice
- Innovations in Epidemiologic Methods; Hot Topics in Epidemiology
- Infectious Disease
With an anticipated 1200 attendees representing 66 countries, the approximate estimated economic impact of this event on Anchorage, Alaska is $1.8 million.
“The Congress features world class Epidemiologists, from nations all over the world, as invited speakers. From the beginning of the Congress to the very end, participants will be able to visit with and listen to the most prominent researchers in epidemiology and public health today,” says Dr. Betty Buchan Monsour, Congress Chair.
Visions Meeting Experts has been contracted to manage all planning and logistics of the Congress. “The planning started in 2008 with the determination of the venue, hotels and development of the Congress website. There are many moving parts to coordinating all of the logistics of a meeting this size and to getting it right! With just weeks to go, it is a true team effort,” says Tina Day, Director of Visions.
Recognizing the wide cultural audience and the current technology landscape of meetings and conferences today, Visions has incorporated several unique elements to the Congress. Some components include:
- Development of a conference website optimized for easy language translation
- Effective use of social media to communicate planning updates, build excitement to increase attendance and mediate online conversations during the conference
- Use of a conference mobile app for attendees featuring push notifications of any logistical changes during the conference, reminders for upcoming events on the attendees’ customized schedule, and a multitude of resources enabling participants to easily navigate through the 5-day event.
Those interested in learning more about the Congress or in registering can visit epidemiology2014.com. Additionally, press is welcome to visit the event by checking in and receiving a press pass at the registration desk.
About Visions: Headquartered in Anchorage, AK, Visions Meeting Experts has been a leading conference and event management company since 1998. In addition to managing large and small conferences statewide, Visions specializes in executing complex, international meetings globally. Visions is a subsidiary of USTravel. visionsus.com.
Posted: July 8, 2014