AKFarmToSchool: Resources, Research, and Funding Opportunity
· New resources for Alaska School Food Service Professionals! We are thrilled to announce a webpage with some resources for School Food Service Professionals to help locate and utilize AK Grown product. We have a link to the AK Grown sourcebook, a Seasonal Availability Chart, and recipe cards for using AK Grown barley flour in rolls. Check all of these out at: http://dnr.alaska.gov/ag/ag_SchoolFood.htm
· The 2011 Evaluation Report of the Alaska Farm to School Program is available at: http://dnr.alaska.gov/ag/ag_FTS.htm.
· Interested in teaching students about the food system? Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future has free classroom ready curriculum with 11 modules, lessons are available at: click here
· Two research projects conducting Health Impact Assessments found that updating national nutritional standards for snack foods and beverages sold in schools could help students maintain a healthy weight and increase food service revenue: http://www.healthimpactproject.org/news/project/school-budgets-student-health-to-benefit-from-higher-nutrition-standards-hia-finds
· Two funding opportunities have been announced by the US Department of Health and Human Services through the Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH) initiatives. Letter of intents are required and due by July 11th, 2012 at 5pm EDT and applications are due by August 7th, 2012 at 11:59 EDT. For more information: click here 1st opportunity and click here 2nd opportunity