BBB Release: Travelers Complain Of Cancellations With No Refunds
Renaissance Pilgrimages has "F" rating with BBB
Anchorage, Alaska – July 20, 2010 – Alaska is among the states with disappointed travelers who have filed complaints with Better Business Bureau about tours cancelled last minute with no refunds by Renaissance Pilgrimages, Inc of Garland, Texas.
The business offers tours to shrines and other revered locations in Israel, Europe, and Canada. Customers from Alaska to New Jersey complain they paid from $3,699 to $9,596 in advance but have not received refunds.
Renaissance Pilgrimages has an "F" rating, BBB's lowest, with BBB serving Dallas and Northeast Texas, due to:
- 34 complaints filed against the business, in the last 36 months.
- Failure to respond to 22 complaints.
- One complaint not resolved.
- Four serious complaints filed against the business.
One complaint is from a travel agency in Maryland that booked 11 clients at $3,699 each for package tours. The tours included: Oberammergau, a passion play presented once every 10 years; and the rarely-seen Shroud of Turin in Italy, which might not be on display again for perhaps another 15 years. The trips were cancelled two weeks before departure and Renaissance Pilgrimages has not responded to refund requests, the travel agency complains.
BBB serving Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington offers tips for travel offers:
· Check out the business before you buy. See if they have a professional association with organizations, such as the United States Tour Operators Association, www.ustoa.com or BBB. Check a travel company's reliability for free before you buy at www.bbb.org.
· Before making a payment, get the details of the offer in writing, including the cancellation and refund policy.
· Paying by credit card, within 60 days of the trip, may allow consumers to dispute the charges within 60 days of purchase. Check with your credit card company to find out the procedures for disputing charges.
About your BBB serving Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington: Better Business Bureau is a neutral not-for-profit organization with the mission to advance marketplace trust. BBB is supported by BBB Accredited Businesses and provides ethical business standards, BBB Reliability Reports, Charity Review Reports, complaint handling, marketplace events and tips. For more information, contact BBB or visit www.bbb.org.
Posted: July 20, 2010