AT&T Named One of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity by Black Enterprise Magazine
AT&T was Included on the List for Successfully Embracing Inclusion in the Areas of Employee Base and Supplier Diversity
Dallas, Texas, July 06, 2010
AT&T* announced today that it has been named one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity by Black Enterprise magazine, a premier publication and resource for African-Americans focusing on business, entrepreneurship, careers and financial management.
The 2010 40 Best Companies for Diversity were selected based on responses from a survey administered to 1,000 major corporations and 50 leading global companies with strong U.S. operations. Companies were measured in four key areas: board representation, employee base, senior management and supplier diversity. Because of the high unemployment rates since the recession, a heavier weighting was applied to the senior management and supplier diversity areas. The final scores, along with the results of reporting and research conducted by the editorial staff, were used to determine the 40 Best Companies for Diversity.
The survey also focused on the overall participation of African Americans and members of other ethnic minority groups as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau.
"In turbulent economic times it's especially important for leaders like AT&T to invest in future leaders and innovators," said Cindy Brinkley, senior vice president - talent development and chief diversity officer at AT&T. "At AT&T we're working closely with diverse suppliers to navigate these challenging times, capitalizing on opportunities together and continue meeting the demands of today's customers. We're honored to be recognized for our supplier diversity efforts and our commitment to workforce inclusion."
This honor from Black Enterprise comes on the heels of other recent recognitions for AT&T in the area of diversity, which include:
- No. 3 among DiversityInc's Top 50 Companies for Diversity for commitment to diversity in the workplace and marketplace.
- No. 2 among DiversityInc's Top 10 Companies for African-Americans for long-term commitment to hiring, retaining, compensating and promoting African Americans.
- No. 1 among DiversityBusiness.com's Top Organizations for Multicultural Business Opportunities for the consistency and quality of business opportunities granted to minority- and women-owned companies.
- Among America's Top Corporations for Women's Business Enterprises by the Women's Business National Enterprise Council (WBENC).
- No. 2 among the 50 Best Companies for Latinas to Work For in the U.S. by LATINA Style.
- Among the Top 50 Companies for Executive Women by the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE).
- Among the Top 5 Most Inclusive Fortune 100 Companies for Hispanics as determined by the Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility (HACR).
The complete report, including methodology and selection criteria, is available in the July issue of Black Enterprise magazine, on newsstands June 29. The sixth annual listing of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity is available by visiting www.blackenterprise.com.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates - AT&T operating companies - are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's fastest 3G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet and voice services. A leader in mobile broadband, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T |DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world. In domestic markets, AT&T Advertising Solutions and AT&T Interactive are known for their leadership in local search and advertising. In 2010, AT&T again ranked among the 50 Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE® magazine.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com.
Posted: July 6, 2010