Senator McGuire Welcomes PNWER Delegates to Alaska
Organization to hold annual summit in Anchorage this July
JUNEAU-Senator Lesil McGuire, R-South Anchorage, today welcomed eight delegates from the Pacific NorthWest Economic Region (PNWER) to Juneau for a visit to the Alaska State Legislature.
PNWER is an organization that brings together key business and government leaders from the Western Canadian Provinces and the Northwest U.S. to address key issues of the region’s economy. The group includes Alaska, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Saskatchewan.
Senator McGuire, a past president of PNWER, introduced the eight delegates on the Senate Floor today including:
- The Honourable Bob McLeod - Premier of the Northwest Territories
- Dr. Richard Starke - Member of Legislative Assembly for Vermillion-Lloydminster, Alberta
- Colin Smith - PNWER Private Sector Chair and Past President of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia
- Herb Cox - Member of Legislative Assembly for Saskatchewan Party, Saskatchewan
- David Kettles - Director of U.S. Relations, International & Intergovernmental Relations at the Government of Alberta
- Kevin Cook – Office of the Canadian Consulate General in Seattle
- Matt Morrison – PNWER CEO
- Steve Myers – PNWER Program Manager
“I’d like to thank these delegates for traveling to Juneau today to learn more about how the Legislature operates here in Alaska,” said Senator McGuire. “Today’s visit was a great opportunity for them to see how we develop our policies as well as to see where we want to be headed as state in the future.”
Today’s visit is in advance of PNWER’s annual summit, which is scheduled to be held in Anchorage this year from July 14th to July 18th.
“We are excited that PNWER’s delegates, over 500 state and provincial legislators, business CEOs and community leaders, will have the opportunity to experience Alaska first hand,” said Senator McGuire. “This is excellent opportunity for Alaskans to reaffirm the important role that our state plays in establishing a vibrant and sustainable economy for the Pacific Northwest.”
Topics to be discussed at the summit will include Arctic resource development, mining, regional tourism, ocean energy, as well as future offshore oil and gas production. Members will also discuss the importance of the Arctic to non-Arctic jurisdictions, the health of cross-border livestock, and exploration of Alaska, the Pacific Northwest and Canadian Provinces.
For more information on today’s visit, please call Amy Saltzman in Senator McGuire’s office at (907) 465-2995.
Posted: January 23, 2013