Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Discounted Rabies Shots for Pets, First 30 Microchips Free


Animal Care and Control and Alaska SPCA partner for Pet New Year Clinic

To encourage more people to license and microchip their pets, Anchorage Animal Care and
Control Center (AACCC) and the Alaska SPCA are holding a discounted rabies vaccination
and microchip clinic this weekend called "Pet New Year." It will be held at the Alaska Mill and
Feed Warehouse (1501 E. 1st Ave.) from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, February 5, 2011.
Rabies vaccinations will be given for only $5 and microchips will be offered for $30.

Microchips will be free for the first 30 spayed or neutered pets. Municipal dog licenses will
also be available for purchase. There will be educational booths, giveaways from petrelated
businesses, door prizes and animal demonstrations by groups such as the Elmendorf
Security K-9 Unit, Alaska Search and Rescue Dogs, and Alaska Dogs Gone Wild.

In 2010, only 37% of stray animals brought to AACCC were claimed by their owners. Many of
the thousands of stray or lost pets that come to AACCC clearly come from homes where
they are cared for, trained, and loved. Sadly, most arrive because they have no
identification and no way to return them to their owner. Identification and licensing go hand
in hand with the protection of our pets. A microchip or tag ensures that pets are returned to
their owners if they are lost. A municipal license ensures that the animal will receive medical
care if it's found injured. It also allows AACCC to keep the animal safely with us for a longer
period of time before putting that pet up for adoption.

A municipal license is required for all dogs over the age of four months in the Municipality of
Anchorage. Unfortunately, only an estimated 20% of dogs are licensed in the municipality.
For cats, identification is required when they are off their own property.

Licenses can be purchased for one, two or three years from the date of purchase. Prices
start at $15 for a spayed or neutered pet for one year. Municipal licenses are sold at many
veterinary clinics, at AACCC, and online at www.muni.org/animal.
Edit Module

Add your comment: