ASRA Accepting Applications for 2011 Academy
Fairbanks, Alaska—The Alaska Summer Research Academy at the University of Alaska Fairbanks will be accepting applications Feb. 14-28 for the 2011 academy.
ASRA is part of the UAF College of Natural Science and Mathematics. The academy provides hands-on, experiential learning in science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields for students in middle and high school. Students attend one module for the entire two weeks. Classes are small, with eight students and two instructors. The ASRA staff includes UAF faculty members and graduate students, MIT instructors and industry professionals.
Highlights this year include:
* Sixteen residential modules, ranging from biomedicine to paleontology to “sounds of science”
* ASRA advanced module at the Kasitsna Bay Research Lab near Homer
* A new partnership with the Discover Design Research program at the University of Alaska Southeast provides an additional three modules.
* Ten full tuition and travel scholarships courtesy of New York Life for students in rural Alaska
* ASRA Jr., a new day program for students entering seventh and eighth grades
Applications will only be accepted Feb. 14 - 28, 2011. Visit www.uaf.edu/asra for more information.
ON THE WEB: www.uaf.edu/asra