Harris CapRock Awarded $46 Million FAA Contract to Support the Alaskan Satellite Telecommunications Infrastructure
- Solution provides reliable voice and data communications for Alaskan air traffic control operations.
- Two-satellite system achieves exceptionally high availability and reliability.
- Builds upon Harris’ long history of developing solutions for the FAA.
MELBOURNE, Fla. & FAIRFAX, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Harris CapRock Communications, a global provider of fully managed communications for remote and harsh environments, has been awarded a 10-year, $46 million contract from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to continue providing satellite services for the Alaskan Satellite Telecommunications Infrastructure (ASTI). The contract includes a two-year base period, with eight one-year options.
“We bring the stability, resources, expertise and technologies required to support the Alaskan aviation community and the FAA.”
Because of the critical nature of the FAA’s communications requirements, Harris CapRock will provide a fully redundant satellite solution utilizing a two-satellite system to ensure dependable connectivity for voice and data. The ASTI program provides highly reliable interfacility communications to support the FAA’s air traffic control mission between remote and hub facilities in Alaska and other remote locations. Harris CapRock provided similar services to the FAA in Alaska under ASTI’s predecessor program.
“Harris has a long history of developing and integrating system solutions for the FAA in support of the National Airspace System (NAS),” said David Cavossa, president, government solutions, Harris CapRock. “We bring the stability, resources, expertise and technologies required to support the Alaskan aviation community and the FAA.”
The FAA launched ASTI as a next-generation upgrade to the Alaskan National Airspace System Interfacility Communication System (ANICS). Harris also was selected under a different contract to replace and upgrade ANICS system components that have become obsolete or have been affected by the harsh Alaskan weather, as well as provide a new network management system, system security enhancements, logistics support and training.
In addition to its work on the ASTI program, Harris is the prime contractor for the FAA Telecommunications Infrastructure (FTI) program, which provides critical voice, data and video communications for NAS operations and mission support functions. Other Harris-supported FAA programs include:
- The Weather and Radar Processor that provides weather processing dissemination and display capabilities to air traffic controllers in the en-route air traffic control environment;
- OASIS, which provides integrated weather briefing and flight planning capabilities for preflight weather briefings and in-flight updates in a managed service model;
- NAS Voice System, which provides a secure, IP-based voice network for critical communications between air traffic controllers, pilots and ground personnel nationwide;
- Data Communications Integrated Services, which will automate many of today’s routine ATC and en route voice communications with specialized data messaging equivalents; and
- NAS Enterprise Messaging Service, which will serve as a network-centric distribution technology for a variety of data, including flight planning, traffic flow management, surface radar, and weather information.
Harris CapRock Communications is a premier global provider of managed satellite and terrestrial communications solutions, specifically for remote and harsh environments including the energy, government and maritime markets. Harris CapRock owns and operates a robust global infrastructure that includes teleports on six continents, five 24/7 customer support centers, local presence in 23 countries, and over 275 global field service personnel supporting customer locations across North America, Central and South America, Europe, West Africa and Asia Pacific.
About Harris Corporation
Harris (NYSE:HRS) is an international communications and information technology company serving government and commercial markets in more than 125 countries. Headquartered in Melbourne, Florida, the company has approximately $5 billion of annual revenue and about 14,000 employees — including 6,000 engineers and scientists. Harris is dedicated to developing best-in-class assured communications® products, systems and services. Additional information about Harris Corporation is available at harris.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that reflect management's current expectations, assumptions and estimates of future performance and economic conditions. Such statements are made in reliance upon the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. The company cautions investors that any forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results and future trends to differ materially from those matters expressed in or implied by such forward-looking statements. Statements about the expected value of the program to Harris are forward-looking and involve risks and uncertainties. Harris disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
Posted: December 3, 2013