Arctic Exploration, Weather on the Web -- Murkowski Morning Meeting, 12/12/2013
Thursday, December 12, 2013
What DC is Reading
- Budget Deal has House GOP Support – Associated Press
- Obamacare Stats Don’t Reflect True Enrollment – Wall Street Journal (Paywall)
- FCC Reconsidering Cell Phone Use on Flights – The Hill
U.S. Senate Events
Future Energy Exploration in Alaska’s Arctic
Alaskan Impact: Alaska’s abundant resources make it an “all of the above” land of opportunity. Who best to have decision-making authority for responsible development than an Alaskan? Today the Energy and Natural Resources Committee – where Senator Murkowski is the top Republican – questioned a number of Interior Department nominees, including Tommy Beaudreau of Alaska, on Alaskan priorities.
5:00 am AKDT
Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee Hearing
Topic: Nominations to the Energy and Interior Departments
- Dr. Franklin M. Orr to be Under Secretary for Science, Department of Energy
- Mr. Jonathan Elkind to be an Assistant Secretary of Energy (International Affairs), Department of Energy
- Ms. Rhea S. Suh to be Assistant Secretary of Fish and Wildlife, for the Department of the Interior
- Mr. Tommy P. Beaudreau to be Assistant Secretary for Policy, Management, and Budget, Department of the Interior
Murkowski welcomes Alaskan nominee Beaudreau to a new decision-making authority (Click for excerpt)
Murkowski presses nominee on ANWR (click to watch excerpt)
Watch the entire meeting online at: energy.senate.gov
Weather Watching on the Web?
Alaskan Impact Alaskans have experienced extreme weather conditions this year- from storms in Western Alaska to power outages in Fairbanks- all leaving Alaskans feeling a bit vulnerable. Gearing up for an incoming storm is not easy, nor is the clean-up after a major weather event. But with Internet use in Alaska growing more high-speed, the distribution of information is critical to ensuring safety. Today, the committee addressed the changing model of news distribution via social media outlets like Twitter and Facebook.
6:30 am AKDT
Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee Hearing
Topic: "Forecasting Success: Achieving U.S. Weather Readiness for the Long Term."
- Dr. William B. Gail, President-elect, American Meteorological Society, Chief Technology Officer of Global Weather Corporation
- Mr. A. Thomas Young, Chair, Independent Review Team, examining NOAA/NASA weather satellite operations
- Mr. Barry Lee Myers, CEO, Accuweather, Inc.
- Mr. Richard Hirn, General Counsel, National Weather Service Employees Organization
- Dr. Lee E. Ohanian, Professor of Economics, UCLA, Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
Witness: We need to embrace changes with information via Twitter and Facebook. (click to watch)
Watch the entire meeting online: commerce.senate.gov
U.S. House Events
Alaska’s Sky Highways, America’s Aviation Status
Alaskan Impact Aviation in Alaska is extremely important with so much of our state not accessible by road. We have more private planes per capita than any other state, so the path forward with aviation is vitally important. Recently, the bipartisan bill from Senators Murkowski and Klobuchar passed Congress and was signed into law by the President to cut costs, improve safety and encourage innovation. Today’s hearing examined where things stand – and what is on the horizon.
House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee – Hearing
Topic “Aviation Subcommittee hearing on "The State of American Aviation."
- Honorable Susan Kurland, Department of Transportation
- Mr. Nicholas E. Calio, President and CEO, Airlines for America
- Mr. Mark Brewer, Chair, American Association of Airport Executives
- Mr. Peter Bunce, President and CEO, General Aviation Manufacturers Association
Watch the entire meeting online: transportation.house.gov
Posted: December 12, 2013