Rep. Young Votes to Pass Defense Authorization, Fund Military
Washington D.C., Dec 14 - With Alaska Congressman Don Young’s support, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 1540, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 (NDAA). This legislation authorized $554 billion for the Department of Defense (DOD) and $11.1 billion for national security programs at the Department of Energy (DOE) for FY 2012. These figures are a significant cut from the original House-passed version in order to comply with the Budget Control Act’s requirement to cut Defense spending by about $465 billion over ten years. Additionally, H.R. 1540 provides for a 1.6% pay increase for soldiers. The bill passed the House by a vote of 283-136.
- Land exchange provision between the Municipality of Anchorage, Eklutna Corp., and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.
- $114,000,000 for Fort Wainwright including $57 million for the Fort Wainwright Aviation Complex.
- $103,600,000 for Joint Base Elmendorf- Richardson for the Army including the full $26 million they requested for their Physical Fitness Facility.
- $97,000,000 for Joint Base Elmendorf- Richardson for the Air Force.
- $45,000,000 for Eielson Air Force Base including the full $45 million they requested for their dormitory as well as $14.8 million for an upgrade to their rail line.