2012 Alaska Young Fishermen's Summit in Juneau
Weaving a network of future fishing leaders
February 13-14, 2012
Alaska Sea Grant Marine Advisory Program is proud to host the Alaska Young Fishermen’s Summit (AYFS) in Juneau in February 2012.
In addition to providing crucial training and networking opportunities for fishermen entering the business or wishing to take a leadership role in their industry, we will also take advantage of the Juneau location by introducing participants to the legislative process, and introducing the fish caucus of the legislature to the issues and concerns of Alaska’s emerging fishermen.
The 2012 AYFS will be a 2-day conference addressing four main topics:
- The nuts and bolts of managing the financial aspects of a successful fishing business,
- Methods for participating in the fisheries regulatory and Alaska legislative processes,
- The role of Alaskan seafood in the world marketplace, and
- The science and management of our sustainable fisheries.
The three previous Alaska Young Fishermen’s Summits have brought together over 180 up-and-coming fishermen from communities from all around Alaska to participate in focused discussions and problem-solving sessions with industry experts and established fishermen.
At the 2012 Summit, we will include many of the same speakers, while also focusing on the new opportunities available to us because of our location in Juneau.
- Agenda (Draft)
- Contribution Form [pdf; 92kb] To Contribute funds directly to AYFS, complete and return this form.
- Sponsorship Form [pdf; 97kb] To sponsor a specific participant to attend AYFS, complete and return this form, or simply register each participant online.
Listen to stories about AYFS aired on Alaska Public Radio
- Sunny Rice - email@example.com or 907-772-3381
- Torie Baker - firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-424-7542